opinions on teleconverters on primes

Name
gary
Edit My Images
No
ok as my collection of prime lens grow I was wondering what you guys think about firstly adding converters to a 300 mm 2.8 prime 1.4 or 2x ,and secondly would it be better to buy the lens manufactures offerings or buy third party, just so you know I use sony cameras and sony - and minolta lens thanks guys

As you have seen from my thread, I am happy with my 300 and 2x for image quality and focus speed, but I shoot Canon.

I also use a Canon 2x and 1.4

In general, telecons work better with primes than they do with zooms and again, in general it's best to use the lens manufacturers' telecons behind the lens concerned, There are exceptions to these generalisations but they tend to be to do with physical fit rather than image quality.

I would say that the 300 f2.8 is probably the best prime to use with converters but I would only use manufacturer's own brand :)

I love my 300 f2.8 with a 1.4 - almost never off it...
The 1.7 finds me less than happy & the 2.0 is only 'ok'
I normally take the 1.4 (fitted) & the 2.0 in a pocket for those times when reach is just more important...

I've not used the Sony 300 f2.8 but if it's anything like the nikon version (300 f2.8 vr1) then 1.4 and 2x TCs should work well with it. With the 1.4 TC there didn't seem to be any degrading, the 2x was not as good by still very useable and far beyond what I expected. My problem was I was quite often using the 300 f2.8 with the 1.4 TC so I ended up swapping it for the nikon 200-400 to get benefit of having the ability to get a wider image if I wanted to. I still have the 1.4 TC to use on the 200-400 and 70-200 when I feel I need to.

you will need a sony or minolta one really, they are supposidly "matched", the rare discontinued kenko 1.4 with 7? elements would be the other option, its non reporting and works with most lenses :)

Back