Opinions on the 5D

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to upgrade one of my camera bodies & was seriously considering the 5D.

It's all very well reading the massive amount of reviews plastered all over the net but thought I'd check with peeps that I knew/trusted on their views & experiences with the camera, problems, restrictions, IQ, etc. before spending out

I do like the full frame aspect & the camera will be mostly used for portrait work & low light stuff (with some landscapes thrown in for luck).
The alternative is a MKIIN - I already have the 1D so there wouldn't be all that much difference in my eyes aside from zoom on preview & higher megapixels (which I'm not that bothered about tbh)

Cheers in advance for any help & advice,
Mike (y)

The alternative is a MKIIN - I already have the 1D so there wouldn't be all that much difference in my eyes aside from zoom on preview & higher megapixels (which I'm not that bothered about tbh)

The difference between the 1D and the 1Dmk2n is massive its not just more pixels its everything I suggest you seriously have a go with one and look at the files that come off it.

Picture quality on the 5D is its best point, nothing else is in my opinion, mine went back after 2 weeks, just couldn't get used to the cheap build feel after the 1 series.

I reckon if you chose 10 SLR's and took a photo from each, i could pick out the one taken with a 5D. There is something very special about the IQ and sharpness the 5D delivers.

Cheers for the advice Mark.
I already have had a good play with the Mark IIN & didn't really think there was that much to justify the additional expense for my work. I don't tend to print massive (although my 30x20's turned out excellently thanks to Photobox) I will take your advice though & take another look just to make sure (& it would be nice to be able to crop! :LOL:) (y)

I reckon if you chose 10 SLR's and took a photo from each, i could pick out the one taken with a 5D. There is something very special about the IQ and sharpness the 5D delivers.

Really? Its that good? I can't say I've studied it. I only look at kit when I need to buy something, other than that I'm perfectly happy with what I have. As for the 5D moomike, you don't need one. They're rubbish ;)

Have you thought about portrait primes? 85mm f/1.x or 135mm? Not saying the 5D is bad by any means, but obviously glass > body if you've currently got a good body.

OK, I've not read all the responces in this thread, but today I spoke to a press guy from rex features. He uses a canon mk3 2x 1dmk11n's and 2x1dmk11. He claims that the image quality of his 5D if far better than the 1d. He hasn't used a 1ds mk11 yet. The only thing that lets the 5D down is the speed.

...obviously glass > body if you've currently got a good body.

I completely agree Pete, think I'll have a really good think about what I want to go for/reasons for that choice & see if I can persuade someone to let me have a go on their 5D - I'll pop down to jacobs or jessops to try out the lenses too.
Cheers for the advice (y)

OK, I've not read all the responces in this thread, but today I spoke to a press guy from rex features. He uses a canon mk3 2x 1dmk11n's and 2x1dmk11. He claims that the image quality of his 5D if far better than the 1d. He hasn't used a 1ds mk11 yet. The only thing that lets the 5D down is the speed.

Cheers Natjag (y) Speed isn't really a problem for me either as I'd have my 1D for that side of things.
My backup 10D (excellent camera that it is) is not the fastest camera in the world so I'm used to it tbh.

The only thing that lets the 5D down is the speed.

And of course the vignetting problem... I'd never seen this until a friend of mine showed me the other day... thats really quite bad!

mike,
the offer still stands to have a play with my 5d

the low noise and iq are great, but it lacks the 1 series feel.
I've added a grip to it now and it feels much better, but still not 1 series.

vignetting isn't a problem on the 5d.
The full frame sensor shows up any weakness in the glass!

And of course the vignetting problem... I'd never seen this until a friend of mine showed me the other day... thats really quite bad!

Is this a problem which is only seen with Sigma DC type lenses ?
On a Nikon this would be a DX lens. I don't know if Canon have that sort of equivalent.
Or, is it a problem with any particular type of lens ?
I understand that one of my local camera club members has just upgraded from 350D to 5D and he is having vignetting problems. I don't know what lens he is using. Can you give any more detail about the problem ?

Gareth.

lenses designed for APS-C lenses won't work very well on a full frame sensor as they are designed to focus the image on a much smaller sensor. Non APS-C lenses will however work on the smaller sensor, this is what brings about the crop factor....the edges of the image are effectively off the sensor.

mike,
the offer still stands to have a play with my 5d

Cheers DF, appreciate that (y)
I'll take another look into the MKII or IIN too, I'm used to the 1.3 crop factor so I'm sure I could just invest in a decent wide angle & go from there.

...one of my local camera club members has just upgraded from 350D to 5D and he is having vignetting problems. I don't know what lens he is using. Can you give any more detail about the problem ?
Gareth.

DF & Photostar are correct about the vignetting, you really need to have top quality glass if you are using full frame - non dedicated lens makes will suffer much more methinks.
EDIT: :agree: With what DF just said :LOL:

I dont feel I can offer an informed opinion Mike as the 5D is the only DSLR Ive ever owned.
Im more than happy with it and love the combination of it with my 85mm F1.8 for portraiture.
I havent noticed vignetting yet, though Ive read some peeps say that its apparent with wide lenses & at the wide end of zooms.

As for feeling cheap ... well it felt pretty damn meaty next to my mates 400D ... but then Ive never had the pleasure of the 1D series. ;)

My friend doesn't use non-Canon lenses - can't remember where it kicks in - think he said under 85mm and gets worse the wider the aperture and the shorter the focal length.

Oh and no EF-S either - he knows what he's doing and obviously the 5D is a full frame camera...

I would say the 1dmk3 has better image quality than the 5D, the 5D is cleaner than the 1dmk2's and 1dsmk2. But the 1dsmk2 is in a class of its own. the 1dmk2's are supberb.

its just every camera is designed to be used in different situations and is built for that situation.

If you want a FF camera and shoot canon you have 3 choices as of now.
5D, 1dsmk2, Film.

If you shoot sports / press you will probably choose a 1d series camera.

Its all relative to what you shoot and what you do with the photos.

well I'm currently using a 17-40 f4 and a 70-200 f2.8 (with a 1.4x Tc) and I don't see any vignetting

Does he have any filters on the front of his lenses?
IIRC robert noticed some vignetting on his 5d with the 17-40 at the wide end when he had a cheap UV filter on.

Interesting thread. The 5d was better in some respects than my 1Ds mkII - noise handling at high ISO the biggest win there, closely followed by write speed (yes, smaller files, but able to multitask is a massive plus). The colour rendition was better even if some fine detail was absent - but you need to pixel peep in everyday use to notice.

Frankly, the mkIII wins hands down in all areas except file size at the moment.

The biggest negative for the 5d is build, but if you're not going to be out in a force 5 hoolie, will you notice?

Interesting thread. The 5d was better in some respects than my 1Ds mkII - noise handling at high ISO the biggest win there, closely followed by write speed (yes, smaller files, but able to multitask is a massive plus). The colour rendition was better even if some fine detail was absent - but you need to pixel peep in everyday use to notice.

Frankly, the mkIII wins hands down in all areas except file size at the moment.

The biggest negative for the 5d is build, but if you're not going to be out in a force 5 hoolie, will you notice?

When did you pick up that other body Jon :) You sig now reads very nicely !

Having shot a bit with a friends 5D I have to say I didn't rate the build that highly, however, the results speak for themselves. Personally I'd rather a full frame body & some reasonable quality glass than a crop body with exceptional glass.

You could always wait a bit and save for the 1DS Mk III out in November.

Hello Mike
Having had four 5Ds and sending them all back, reasons being dirt and black flecks in the viewfinder, out of the box. I would never have another one, not even for free, unless i sold it on. Go for the MK2N, after you have used a 1 series camera as you have there is just no going back.

I have in my bag a 20D, 5D and a 1Ds MkII. The 5 is easily the best low light/High ISO camera of the three. The metering on the 1Ds MKII is a country mile ahead of the 5D.

Like Johnny the write speed on the 5D is way better than the 1Ds MkII which is a slightly older generation (same problem if plugging in USB. It'll take two hours to empty a 8gb card from a 1Ds MKII! :eek:)

Build may be an issue but I was on a Scottish mountain on Sunday in howling and rainy conditions. Both cameras stood up well although I think my flash may have gone a bit haywire - but that is another story. I did miss the vertical grip on the 5D but this can be added.

I have already decided that the 5D will be the camera I put in the bag when weight is an issue but quality cannot be compromised.

With all full-frame Canons the real issue is glass. A lot of (personal) reviews are of the glass with smaller sensor cameras. My 16-35mm f2.8L is currently away for a service as I suspect the alignment is off. Several photographers I have spoken with have complained about the quality of L glass not being good enough for Canon's current range of cameras.

When did you pick up that other body Jon :) You sig now reads very nicely !

I had one on order for a few weeks through Warehouse Express, then saw Ians at the Big Cat meet the other week and had to get my hands on one fast!!! Calumet came through with delivery in 2 days from order. Normally i'd use WEX, but they gave no indication of the wait i'd have and when pressed, said they were fulfilling backorders and wouldn't be able to deliver for 2 - 3 months :eek:. Its a beaut.

Cheers for all of the advice everyone, will be making a decision soon hopefully - although the 1DMKIIN is sounding promising again at the moment - how does it compare noise wise to the 5D (it will be used for quite a bit of low light work tbh & I'd need good results) (y)

Hello again Mike
Here are 2 shots with the 1DMK2N at ISO 3200 and noise ninja .

Canon 1DMK2N
Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS USM

MAH10007.jpg

MAH10016.jpg

Get the 1DMK2N you wont look back, get the 5D and you will be getting rid of it soon after.

Oooh - Mike - just remembered! The 5d was featured in an extreme test somewhere (some blinking cold place) and came through with pride - it was some photo mag recently........ Anyone able to help on this one?????

Check the 2 shots out Mike
Canon 1DMK2N at ISO 1600 and a photoshop despeckle
Canon 70-200 F2.8 is usm at f2.8

AH10009.jpg

AH10008.jpg

hey papa just looking at your gallery and i think one of your swan pics is on the calendar hanging in my office. great pic.
pbh

Can you show me the calendar pic. If it is then the copyright has been nicked.

Back