Opinions on the Nikon D700 for landscape photography

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for opinions on the D700 regarding landscape photos, so to those who use one is it good or not so good ? what do you really think, and how much better is it than the D300 if any, and if you have examples you could post all the better, many thanks in advance :)

IMHO its not optimal for landscape, and Nikon said as much themselves with the D3X announcement.

Its "fine" but you don't really gain any real advantage per se over DX.

I could blind test you with a D60 and D700 landscape and I'm 99% sure if I stripped the EXIF you couldn't tell (I did actually shot two scenes in Colorado and I need to check the EXIF to tell myself!)

Where does the D700 really shine then??? In low light and/or studio work??? I'd rather have the crop sensor of the D300 for what I shoot (motorsport) as a D700 was a feasable option for me just after Christmas, but I ended up going for a Tamron 70-200 2.8 then a 300mm f4 Nikkor.

(apologies for going a bit off topic, but I think P.D. has answered the question)

I could blind test you with a D60 and D700 landscape and I'm 99% sure if I stripped the EXIF you couldn't tell (I did actually shot two scenes in Colorado and I need to check the EXIF to tell myself!)

I wouldn't mind taking a look Andy when you have time to post, i guess as i do like landscape photography most, i have to take this into consideration as if i do make the purchase i doubt if i will be able to keep the D300, also any opinions on what would be a good wide angle FF lens, but not the Nikon 17-35mm as that will be way out of my price range :)

I wouldn't mind taking a look Andy when you have time to post, i guess as i do like landscape photography most, i have to take this into consideration as if i do make the purchase i doubt if i will be able to keep the D300, also any opinions on what would be a good wide angle FF lens, but not the Nikon 17-35mm as that will be way out of my price range :)

I'll post them up when I get a chance. I shot both with the same WB and same exposure and same lens so its a good comparison. Never posted them anywhere as I'm not sure I can handle the grief :)

Tamron 17-35 f/2.8 - f/4 Di - super lens, stable mate of the 28-75. Stunning lens - not quite as good as the 17-35 but WAY better than the Nikkor 18-35.

why not throw the cash for a D700 at glass instead?

Yes did think about that one, i guess i'm thinking a bit more long term,although having said that if i hold out for another year i'm sure i could pick up a used D700 quite a bit cheaper when the replacement is out,decisions decisions :LOL:

I'll post them up when I get a chance. I shot both with the same WB and same exposure and same lens so its a good comparison. Never posted them anywhere as I'm not sure I can handle the grief :)

Tamron 17-35 f/2.8 - f/4 Di - super lens, stable mate of the 28-75. Stunning lens - not quite as good as the 17-35 but WAY better than the Nikkor 18-35.

Yes the Tamron was the one i was thinking about too, it does have good reviews and quite a good price.

im holding out for a cheap(er) D700 next year or after. its gonna be tough and cant say im not tempted to blow the cash but as lens get more expensive or hold value bodies get cheaper.*

*well the bleeding should if we didnt have price rises and currency fluctuations

I have a friend who has jusr switched from the D300 to the D700.

Although he claims that he seems to be getting a little more resolution (whether this is due to lenses is another matter), but the biggest advantage he's seen are with long exposures (and noise). It appears that the D700 low light / low noise features, work very nicely for long exposure landscape work also.

It appears that the D700 low light / low noise features, worth very nicely for long exposure landscape work.

That seems like a good point i hadn't considered, thanks for the input :)

The D700 has less noise at base ISO. But thats only really because compared the D200 and D2X the D300 is a noise machine at ISO200 really.... never liked it much at base ISO at all.. what the left hand giveth for high ISO, the right hand taketh at base...

Back