Review Optech Bino/Cam Harness

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Decided after a recent long trek that I needed something to protect my midriff from the camera constantly bashing into it when hanging from the neckstrap (surprised my natural padding wasn't sufficient)

So after some deliberation I settled on the Optech Bino/Cam Harness explained fully here http://optechusa.com/bino-cam-harness.html
Did look at the Black Rapid sling style straps, but prefer to leave a q/r plate atached and still not entirely confident of having the camera attached at just one point

Here we go then with my impressions and may as well start with the price of approx £20. I didn't think that was too bad considering the cost of a simple neckstrap and the various other camera carrying contraptions now available.

There are two versions as you will probably have read in the manufacturers blurb and decided on the more expensive elasticated version. In the bag you get the harness and two quick link attachments for your camera.
These are the very short ones that need to be threaded through the fixing point and then pulled tight through their own loop (very tight fit to thread through on my Canon 40D and needle nose pliers helped a lot)
As I already owned an Optech Neckstrap thought about using the attachments from that which were already attached to the camera. To be of any use they need to be shortened considerably leaving a very long tail of spare webbing, so a non runner there.

Now its harness adjusting time and although can be done on ones own an assistant is very helpful, much easier to adjust with camera attached. After some trial and tribulation a suitable position was found although have to say the camera did not hang as I imagined.
The harness itself is elasticated and the attachments also slide up and down the straps so its a very simple task to bring the camera up to the eye for use.
Despite having tried many different adjustments the harness crosspiece fits higher up my back than expected and the camera refuses to neither sit with its back against the chest or point vertically downwards, more of a midpoint angle. (should add that i'm not particulalry misshapen, 6ft and about 13st) The weight seems to be taken in an area nearer the neck than shoulder, better than a conventional strap, but definitely not rucksack stylee.

First impressions lead me to believe its probably more suited to a lighter camera than my 40D with 70-200mm f/4 attached, something like one of the Rebel series with kit lens as it improved when changed to a 17-55mm lens. More updates will follow after further use, not sure yet on how comfortable or supportive it will be although I think it will be preferable to the bruised stomach syndrome

Last edited:
Thanks for that review . I was thinking about the optech dual harness or the Sun Sniper dual harness. I know this isn't the same model but as I want to hang a gripped 50D and 1D MK IV from it it needs to be strong.

Back