weekly -- OptiBull's -- Photo 52 -- 2012 -- W03 -- Sigh --

Edit My Images
Yes
A new year, a new camera led me back to the fantastic TP forum! Thought i would have a crack at this challenge.

Seeing as the first subject has been released 'Direction' my first 52 is...

6594717495_5d8ccb7253_z.jpg

Second 52 of the year... Fear, this is someone ascending up a ~70ft shaft on a single rope a technique known as SRT. (Note the blown pixel at the bottom is actually a glow stick to give some sense of depth)

Untitled by OptiBull, on Flickr

Third week 'Sigh' I struggled with this one tbh ended up with pretty much nothing but decided i should at least upload something! So...

sigh by OptiBull, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like this. Great first shot for the 52!

so many different ideas can't wait to do mine, liking this one lots :banana:

Great start for the 2012 - loving that light at the end! Good luck for week 2 - G.

Cheers guys thanks for the encouraging comments. Im personally not 100% happy with the shot and i wish i had taken some more time to take a few more exposures. Roll on the next topic! :)

I like it. It works on a couple of levels for me.

It fits the "Direction" brief but also the eye is led through the picture to what I'm assuming is an exit and because of the way there's a large amount of ceiling it emphasises the crampness of the space.

I see what you're saying about a few different exposures but you've got all the detail and I don't think there's any blown out bits really so a darker exposure fore example would possibly lose some detail in the wall on the left or in the ceiling.

PS, on a personal note on the 52er's, you should change the title of your 52 once each one's been posted as that's what I've been waiting for and only looked at yours again as I had some extra time.

So do you post all your photos to your thread and then change the tittle each week?

I love, it! Great light and textures.
My only minor comment is that I am left wondering if the light is real (ie from a window etc) or some sort of light painting?

Toby

This was taken deep in a wiltshire limestone mine/quarry, i was with the camera and painted the foreground with my torch and my Brother was further down hid behind a wall painting with his torch. 30 second exposure.

So do you post all your photos to your thread and then change the tittle each week?
Looking at last year's threads, I think that's the idea. Makes it easier for people to follow your progress (they only have to subscribe once), plus all your photos and all the feedback you receive will all be in the same place.

Hi ya Optibul ( where did that name come from ?? :LOL: )

Welcome on board the 52's madhouse...& off to a great start (y)

Like your image lots...light painting is good fun & produces some great images . Slight light blur towards the centre , possibly crop a little from the left as seems like dead space.....& to me ( & possibly only me ) this cries out to be SC'd or maybe B&W :thinking:

Good start & look forward to seeing the next 51 weeks :D

I thought I commented on the picture when I posted in this thread earlier, but apparently not. :bonk:

The location you picked is interesting and different. I like both versions, with a small preference for the colour one.

Second 52 of the year... Fear, this is someone ascending up a ~70ft shaft on a single rope a technique known as SRT. (Note the blown pixel at the bottom is actually a glow stick to give some sense of depth)

Untitled by OptiBull, on Flickr

Last edited:
definatly covers 3 of my fears - heights, falling and confined spaces. Doing that would be a nightmare for me!!

As for the photo is has been well taken under difficult lighting conditions. I can't decide if it would be better with or without the/your boot in the shot!

A super start, both shots are well thought out and hit the theme's well.

definatly covers 3 of my fears - heights, falling and confined spaces. Doing that would be a nightmare for me!!

As for the photo is has been well taken under difficult lighting conditions. I can't decide if it would be better with or without the/your boot in the shot!
I'm with Sarah on this one although would say I'd prefer it without the boot.

Hi ya

yup...another great shot , right on theme for Fear....ya wouldn't catch me doing that for a gold pig:LOL:

Nice n sharp....lose the boot for me & great concentration in his face...fear of falling I guess....good work mister,,,keep it up...only another 50 weeks to go (y)

ps...please don't forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to track who's where & done what....link in 1st post of the thread where the themes are posted...I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you (y)

Really like direction... fits the theme nicely... but I can't see the second one for Fear.. flickr is telling me it's not available ... ?

Cheers for the comments all! :) Struggled this week bit annoyed with my self for not working a bit harder but hey still got the rest of the year to go!

sigh by OptiBull, on Flickr

I'm not getting sigh from that, but who cares because it's a great shot anyway!

I was trying to get the cat to Sigh... He didn't want to play ball and gave me a cheeky bit of tongue instead. This made me sigh... Thats my story and im sticking to it! :p

Animals with tongues out, always good! Working with animals nearly always makes you sigh!! I know the feeling, this is the first week our dog has not given me the sigh face and has ruin my plans! *sigh*

Back