optic flash slave - help

It needs to be triggered by another flash that has line of site to the trigger, for example use the popup flash on your camera to fire this other flash.

You put your flash onto the shoe of the slave, then screw it onto a tripod/light stand

Then use another flash on your camera pointing towards the other one then the slave would fire due to the flash light from the flash on camera

Nothing hard

Nothing hard

Are you sure? Will this optical slave ignore the pre-flash from a Canon ETTL flash? I see nothing to suggest it will ignore it, other than the claim of compatibility with several Canon EOS cameras. It is true that it would be compatible if you were using a flash in manual mode, but you can't set the popup flash to manual, so you will always get a preflash, which I'm guessing will trigger the slave prematurely. For this to work correctly you would need a Speedlite (or some other flash) on the camera, or corded to the camera, and operating in manual mode.

Or did I miss something?

Turn the pre-flash off. It means you have to revert to old methods of working, but optical triggers are a reliable and cheap way of firing remote flash heads - of any sort, not just small camera top types, they will still fire studio flashes because all they do is close a circuit

I have a couple of these, and they work fine.

Sometimes I just use one as a 2nd flash to the flash on the camera, or I've used both of them, set the flashes to low power, and set the "on board" flash to -2 FEC in manual (no pre-flash).

Here's a couple I did for my work, both with one optical slave and a camera mounted flash, both with my home made diffusers.

vinay01a_med.jpg

vinay02a_med.jpg

They're a cheap way of getting into lightweight portable flash, and because you have to do everything in manual, you learn a great deal.

Steve

Back