Optical viewer / viewfinder / composition aid ?

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday I was with someone who had a handheld eyepiece that could be adjusted to different focal lengths to judge the composition. Can anyone tell me what these are called ? I've searched Ebay & WEX but can't find them.

Not really worth the price to be honest. Why exactly would you want one when your camera is there with you to take the shot. Plus at nearly £200 they don't come cheap.

Also what's it actually going to do for you, put it this way, we all buy things everyday and only the good purchases are the ones we find a use for to ease our lives. What would this achieve.

Sure in the film industry it's a completely different story due to varying circumstances but for photography it's not that useful.

Save your money mate and put it towards a shiny new lens that will be more useful, or a date out with the misses which would score your bedroom brownie points :LOL:

Usually those who ask what they are are intrigued in purchasing. You could have easily thought "oh that's looks nifty I might get one" I was merely stating that if you do consider it then please refer to my above post.

I could see one being useful on a day like yesterday - out in the wilds of Snowdonia. Frequent heavy showers, changing light, camera packed away (dry) in my bag, with the storm cover over the bag. Wet hands, wet clothes, not sure if the composition will work (and if it does, what is the best viewpoint) or which lens to use. Rather than unpack everything, change lenses a couple of times, move and level the tripod a few times, it would be useful to be able to check all these things with what I now know is called a director's viewfinder. Agreed that £200 is to high a price to pay though, although I'm capable of making that decision on my own thanks :)

Back