Orb Spider(?) and a few other bits n bobs

Very Nice set Chris I think I got the sme spider, the one with the long legs - the pose is almost identical

Its on my flickr

DSC01578 spider by Les Moxon Photography, on Flickr

yours is a much better shot though - you got ALL the legs in frame :)

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not an orb that I am aware. Can't remember the species. Nicely shot. Interesting colours on the underneath of the blade it's on.

Light is a little harsh and could do with some diffusion.

I think yours is the better shot Les - much clearer than mine. Are you using flash?

Get that thinking cap on Ian - I need to know!!
Any pp tips as to how best diffuse the harsh direct sunlight?

EDIT: Found it - Tetragnatha extensa (Long-jawed Orb-weaver Spider) :)

Last edited:
I think yours is the better shot Les - much clearer than mine. Are you using flash?

Get that thinking cap on Ian - I need to know!!
Any pp tips as to how best diffuse the harsh direct sunlight?

EDIT: Found it - Tetragnatha extensa (Long-jawed Orb-weaver Spider) :)

Chris, if your sunlight is indeed exceptionally harsh, try getting a light deflector. Just one of those fold out pocket light reflectors. Can be used to bounce light or diffuse it. Something like this one would be ideal. Not too big. You just need to be careful about shading bugs as they can be spooked out.

the_pocket_light_reflector_1.jpg

Chris, if your sunlight is indeed exceptionally harsh, try getting a light deflector. Just one of those fold out pocket light reflectors. Can be used to bounce light or diffuse it. Something like this one would be ideal. Not too big. You just need to be careful about shading bugs as they can be spooked out.

the_pocket_light_reflector_1.jpg

Cheers Ian, I'll look into. Not really my thing tbh - I travel light and don't even use flash.

Hi Chris, I think the reflector would probably weigh about 10 grams and it's good for bouncing sunlight or using it to shade / diffuse sunlight on your subject.

It's not the weight, how would I hold it?
No way could I shoot one handed whilst the other hand is holding a diffuser/reflector.
But thanks for the info.

Tiz a type of Long Jawed Orb Web Spider I think.

Back