weekly Organisation idea????

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a thought, and it may be too late for this year now, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to keep track of everyone else's photo's so I can comment, so I wondered if the following idea might work better?

To keep track you need to know who's posted a new shot, which is difficult because you can't tell whether the thread has new shots or just new comments, where the heck in their thread it is (people who post a link in the first post help a LOT, but because that opens the post in a new tab/window you can't comment directly from there), and whether or not you've already commented.

How about if there was ONE main thread for the photos and ONLY for the photos. Each week everyone would post one shot in there (could be more so long as no-one dominated it), as well as a link to their feedback thread. That way it'd be possible to start reading at the last unread post in the main thread, which you would know was going to be the first new photo. You could then just click on the feedback link below each photo to go and comment. There'd be no need to wade through everyone else's comments unless you wanted to; just click, type in comments box, submit and close the tab to go back and look at the next photo.

I think it'd be a LOT easier that way, but don't know what others think? At the moment keeping up with what everyone else is doing is proving to be harder than the challenge itself!!!!

Last edited:
Good plan, can't see any problem with it to be fair.

It could be argued that people would get less feedback because of the need to click-though but tbh I reckon the ease of finding the newest images would far outweigh that.

I think something's got to change, as if it's this difficult after only 3 weeks, just imagine what it'll be like when we get to week 30!

Hehe I must admit I pre-emped this, also due to my OCD side. When i first made my thread I added 5 comments bellow my first, so I can edit them and add all my pictures in order and onto page 1.
That way the pictures are all together and you still have the comment box at the bottom.
Might be worth a look at doing this way, to save having two seperate threads.

Yeah that would work if everyone did it. I've done something similar by adding thumbnails so people can at least see if they recognise the shots, though I've just realised it won't help once we get to week 6 because you can only post 6 pics per post, and can't insert posts at the beginning :(

Hehe, hence my extra comment slots.
Must admit I do think it would be easier if there was say a pre-formed thread template. Something similar to my thread for example, that was used for every thread throughout the photo52 challenge.

By week 30 there will be less people to comment on. You only have to look at the spreadsheet to see each week how many people drop out and the comments from those that have done one in the past say how few people actually finish.

Having two threads will be a nightmare IMO.

I really appreciated my comments this week as it was hard to get a good photo but don't feel obliged to comment on every single thread. I won't be offended if you miss one of mine and I don't check to see who has left me feedback anyway. I don't leave feedback on every thread I look at, I tend to comment on the ones that I like or stand out to me.

If trying to comment on them all is taking the fun out of the 52 then don't do it. I'd rather we all finish and enjoy the challenge than only a few finish because the fun was taken away by trying to comment on everyone every week.

Trouble is, it'll be the comments that keep a lot of people going. In my case the challenge is good on it's own, but it's the feedback that I'll really learn from, so i do think it's important to comment on as many as possible.

With the spreadsheet, how do you remember which ones you've already looked at, given that you can't mark it up without ruining it for other users? I've taken a copy that I mark up, but it's a lot of work.

I can't see how my suggestion would be a nightmare. You'd have only one extra thread (so using current numbers, 108 instead of 107, though in fact it'd be the same because you wouldn't need the spreadsheet), but the extra one would be a sticky, would link you neatly to all the others, would be the ONLY one you'd need to check regularly, and would take you directly to the newest photo's. You'd still be able to comment on all, none, or some, as now.

In other words, it'd be exactly like the spreadsheet, except that it'd actually show you the pictures, and wouldn't need you to keep any track of which threads you had and hadn't commented on.

I don't think the solution to "it's too much work" is "don't do it", I think it's "make it less work".

Yes, sadly I agree. I'll soldier on as is for this year ;)

Back