Orion another try

Big disclaimer up front, I know next to nothing about astro but since that doesn't seem to stop other people on the internet...

... the thing that strikes me is compared to other nebula images I have seen the colours look a bit too saturated, that said I have no idea how colour is controlled in these images and it is far, far better than anything I could even attempt to do.

Big disclaimer up front, I know next to nothing about astro but since that doesn't seem to stop other people on the internet...

... the thing that strikes me is compared to other nebula images I have seen the colours look a bit too saturated, that said I have no idea how colour is controlled in these images and it is far, far better than anything I could even attempt to do.
Thast is a very valid point ..... It looked ok until I reduced the image size for the forum ...... will try and recreate the image and post again.

Can the focus drift with cold conditions ??...
Do your individual subs start off in focus then drift out over a period of time or are they all slightly off? And I should have asked first - telescope or lens? If telescope then yes it is possible for focus to shift due to temperature but depends very much on how your focuser works and how the camera is mounted. If you're using a lens then no it shouldn't lose focus though creep can be an issue with zoom lenses without locks. What you need is an autofocuser.........there's no end to the toys you can spend money on ;)
BTW 2nd image with the toned down red looks a lot more 'natural' though the downside is you've lost some of the fainter detail. Though of course colour in astro images is very subjective. There really isn't a right or wrong.

Not got a telescope ...... Camera and lens (sigma 150-600mm) @ 200mm if I remember .... but not locked off.
First couple of images ok but then drifted oof.
In this photo though the lens is my 70-200mm.
20210212_134101.jpg

I have that lens. It's great for astro. I have a Tamron 70-300 which I've used for astro on holiday when I couldn't take the Sigma. It has no locks on the zoom and suffers really badly from creep but a charity wrist band sorted that little issue. If the zoom is locked, you're manually focusing and nothing is touched, the focus shouldn't shift. You might get what looks like loss of focus due to wind or a bit of dew on the lens, How are you focusing?

Sounds fine. I'm long sighted and struggle with live view (and the camera I use most for astro doesn't have it). I use a bahtinov mask.
Do those masks come in different sizes??

Do those masks come in different sizes??

Yes, you can get them to fit anything from lenses to telescopes. Can't remember where I got mine but try Rother Valley Optics or the Widescreen Centre. The ones they sell have three adjustable pegs to hold them on and they're fine used on the end of the lens hood. Find a nice bright star near the object you want to image and around a 10 sec exposure will be enough. Zoom in and the star will be elongated with a cross through the middle and a line through. Adjust the focus till the cross and line are centred and it'll be spot on. It helps if you get close by eye or with live view first (using live view you may not need to actually take an exposure - I don't know). Just don't forget to remove the mask before you start your subs. The number of times I've whipped it off as the countdown on the intervalometer has been beeping!

Back