Scotland Orkney Mainland

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to be on Orkney over Christmas 2021. Wondered if there were any TP members in Orkney who fancied getting together for a shoot or 2.

barring that any advise on locations appreciated.

i’ll be based in Birsay, north end of mainland, and would travel on the mainland or across to Ronaldsay.

Have a look at the excellent WalkHighlands site. It has descriptions and photos of walks all over Scotland, including lots on Orkney.

Dave

Hi, I do live in Orkney indeed. Also I am a postman so Christmas is a bit of a busy time of the year for me, when I tend to work 6 long day per week. If I can help in any way I will. I beleive this year kirkwall ba has been cancelled again and so has been the stromness rope tugging too.
What sort of things do you like Jim? There will still be a few seals at this time although it is a bit late in the season (south ron). And birsay is a great place for the northern light.

Thomas

I'll have a go at most things but seascapes and landscapes ae my main love photographically (excuse the pun). Trying to get into astro but there just aren't enough clear nights but maybe I'll get lucky with some aurora.

Enjoy a bit of wildlife so a trip for the seals and I believe otters might be a feature in some locations and probably head to the rspb hides or areas for some sunrise/ set stuff also (if I'm allowed out to play that much). WOuld like to get some waders and hen harriers.

thnaks for responding

You'll be almost spoiled for choice for sea and landscapes. The only difficulty(ignoring some possibly 'interesting' weather) is the day length of barely seven hours around Christmas.

There is a good chance of some winter visitors eg waders, geese, swans.

Dave

Sorry I've not been on here much.

For landscape and seascape, the northwest coat is really nice so Birsay is a great place to be. You can try Yesnaby, the Brough of Birsay and the Bay of Skail there which are great. Brough of Birsay is also the best for northern light.

For seals it's got to be a beach called Windwick on the east coast of South Ronaldsay, it seems to have the later seal pups there, as Christmas new year is pushing it a bit late really. But I saw them there at Christmas for sure when I had some family up. We tried first the west coast of South Ronaldsay (burwick to sandwick) but they were all gone there.
If you do go to windwick half way down the road (from the main road to windwick itself) there is a tiny wood called Olaf wood that is really great for birds.

Otter, you'd have to be lucky but last winter it's during the cold snap that the otters was the most seen. Often near brig o wait. I have seen otters only twice. You have to be lucky. This is near the ring of brodgar, stone of stenness and maeshowe and there is often common seals in the lochs there.

Archaeology I am not sure of opening at this time of the year but I love Maeshowe and its got a roof, so perfect for a cold day, Skara brae.
History near Birsay there is a great mill to visit, the barony mill which still works and makes flour. The museum in Kirkwall is worth looking at just across from the cathedral.

RSPB hides to look for "the loons", "cottascarth". I see Hen Harrier pretty often while driving but actually never been when and where I wanted to see them!

Again if you have some question just fire them up. I can try to help.

Anyhow, you won't get bore in Orkney there is a lot too see for any kind of taste.

Sorry I've not been on here much.

For landscape and seascape, the northwest coat is really nice so Birsay is a great place to be. You can try Yesnaby, the Brough of Birsay and the Bay of Skail there which are great. Brough of Birsay is also the best for northern light.

For seals it's got to be a beach called Windwick on the east coast of South Ronaldsay, it seems to have the later seal pups there, as Christmas new year is pushing it a bit late really. But I saw them there at Christmas for sure when I had some family up. We tried first the west coast of South Ronaldsay (burwick to sandwick) but they were all gone there.
If you do go to windwick half way down the road (from the main road to windwick itself) there is a tiny wood called Olaf wood that is really great for birds.

Otter, you'd have to be lucky but last winter it's during the cold snap that the otters was the most seen. Often near brig o wait. I have seen otters only twice. You have to be lucky. This is near the ring of brodgar, stone of stenness and maeshowe and there is often common seals in the lochs there.

Archaeology I am not sure of opening at this time of the year but I love Maeshowe and its got a roof, so perfect for a cold day, Skara brae.
History near Birsay there is a great mill to visit, the barony mill which still works and makes flour. The museum in Kirkwall is worth looking at just across from the cathedral.

RSPB hides to look for "the loons", "cottascarth". I see Hen Harrier pretty often while driving but actually never been when and where I wanted to see them!

Again if you have some question just fire them up. I can try to help.

Anyhow, you won't get bore in Orkney there is a lot too see for any kind of taste.
Thomas

back from our trip and just a quick thank you for advice on the places to go. I got a decent heron shot at the loons hide. I had 2 hen harriers messing about just too far away to be anything other than interesting through the binoculars. Although not much in the way of photos a huge thumbs up from mrs t and daughter 1 for the seals at Sandwick, there were still a number of pups and the landscape shots from there was a pleasant surprise. Birsay, yesnaby, skaill bay, etc all great. Had a session at Brodgar that was very nice and i have a real soft spot for St Peters Kirk which i find a pleasant photography subject.

lucky with the weather in the main for the week and i think tuesday this week, my last day, might have been the single best day of light i’ve had since i started taking photos. Helped by patchy clouds, low fog and little wind, it was joyous.

all in all relaxed trip with much photography with my mojo for it well and truly back

wont be last trip to Orkney so might catch up with you next time.

all the best for 2022

jim

Back