Oshiro 60mm f/2.8 2:1 LD UNC Manual Ultra-Macro Lens

Name
Lee Whittaker
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I was looking for a cheap ish Macro lens and came across this lens - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010R8M...TF8&colid=1J020VQ4HLRIM&coliid=I2FNT7V5SLHXDA

Has anyone heard of this or had a play with it at all?

Reviews seem OK and seems OK for what I want to be using it for.
Will mainly be using it indoors and on a tripod.

What do people think and what do people use for Macro Photography?

I shooting with a Canon 6D.

Thanks

Lee

It looks like the outer shell of a Laowa 60mm macro from Venus, but maybe not the same internals.

Deff looks the same and it does say its a 2:1 macro but its a 1/4 of the price, go for it and if its really CRAP, send it back within a month.

A quick scout about reveals that it is a copy of the Laowa, and it won't have the same build quality or lens coatings. But, at 1/3rd the price, if it's anything close image quality-wise, it's definitely worth a shot.

I have been informed that there are 2 rip offs from the Loawa venus lens (this is one), saying that, its worth buying as I stated above and returning if its CRAP.

Some odd exif data on some of those. Focal lengths ranging from 55-70mm on the ones that don't have lens names. And a couple of shots that are just from other lenses entirely.

That is just people forgetting to change the non cpu lens date on camera. I use a bunch of old manual focus lenses and they will all do this, there is no electrical contacts on the rear of the lenses to provide certain info. All you lose is the aperture, and the focal length will be off unless you have it set up [which takes a few seconds for Fuji bodies at least] - as for the other lenses, you'll get that in every single group on Flickr. I was Admin for a D800/E group and would have to clear anything up to 100 images per day that were shot with other bodies.

When shooting macro you should be manual focusing no matter the lens either way.

Last edited:
I have bought one and just emailed the retailer as the aperture seems miles out. When shooting with my Sigma 105 I was using f11 and in the same conditions same lighting and subject the images were overexposed at f22.

It feels well made and I seen shots from users who are happy with it.

I have bought one and just emailed the retailer as the aperture seems miles out. When shooting with my Sigma 105 I was using f11 and in the same conditions same lighting and subject the images were overexposed at f22.

It feels well made and I seen shots from users who are happy with it.
At least it can be exchanged for another if you want.
Keep us informed please.

So did i, mines coming today, reversing the kit lens on my 60D was always an adventure, i can't wait to have full aperture control this time rather than locking the aperture preview whist removing the lens like you had to do on the canon :D

If you see someone crouching down strangely in the flowers in the lake district in the near future, that'll be me :D

Mine has arrived but the EF / NEX adapter won't fit on my a6500 for some reason :-(. It slips on the body fine but won't twist on. Any suggestions?

Mine has arrived but the EF / NEX adapter won't fit on my a6500 for some reason :-(. It slips on the body fine but won't twist on. Any suggestions?

Sometimes its a really tight fit and sometimes it won't fit at all... I'd suggest using it on a smart adapter if you have one or return it and buy a different adapter from K&F concept. their adapters generally has worked well for me on all bodies.

I'll just get amazon to replace the adaptor as it came with the lens.

What's the build quality of the lens like? any chance of a pic showing the front ele?

The build quality is better than I thought it was going to be, metal body with rubber focus and aperture ring. Aperture ring is smooth but the focus is a little stiff but I can live with that.

Here are some photo photos of the lens -

Also here a very quick photo with the lens, just on my table with standard light so nothing special -

1:2, ISO250, f/8, 1/250

1:1, ISO250, f/8, 1/5

1.5:1, ISO250, f/8, 1/5

2:1, ISO250, f/8, 1.6

When I get my proper set up on the go will post more but these were a quick 10 mins.

Nice, looks well worth the price. AT the moment I'm using macro rings with my 35mm on the Fuji but I'd rather something more dedicated for macro. I'd be interested in seeing how it handles portraits also.

Yeah so far it looks sharp, I didnt spend lots of time making it pin point sharp so happy with how they came out and also no extra sharpening in post processing with these images.

Over all after a quick play last night very happy with it, just need to learn how to shoot Macro properly :)

Quick question does this lens cover FF at infinity or is only FF coverage at macro distances?

A very quick sample of 2:1, this is the full frame image.

35936362300_8a40f1bb5b_o.jpg

Last edited:
Another one, this is straight out of the camera but removed a dust spec, no other editing.

36289046056_c97045af62_o.jpg

I was going to get a sample at infinity but it's drizzly outside so it'll be useless. I will do it when it stops drizzling though.

Seems a decent lens for the price

I like it, i just need to replace the cheap adapter that came with it so i can actually secure it onto my camera body!

Back