Osmiridium - once worth x10 as much as gold

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Adamsfield is now not even a ghost town. Not a single dwelling remains of what in 1925 was
the beginning of a township of some 1000 people despite its location in a quiet valley in Tasmania's remote south-west.

Prospectors and miners rushed to the area after osmiridium was discovered, an alloy primarily used in the
manufacture of fountain pen nibs with a value at that time, ten times that of gold. Later, it was also used in dentistry and in electronics

I and my partner trekked into the area just over two years ago during December, 2006 when I shot this photo essay
of all that was left of Adamsfield. Last year an all consuming bushfire consigned all that remained to history.

Adams1.jpg

Adams2.jpg

Adams3.jpg

Adams4.jpg

Adams5.jpg

Adams6.jpg

Thanks laser jock99 - Fascinating country is Wales and it will be my life-long regret that I missed seeing any of it when I visited the UK 20 yrs ago - now I must be content with pictures and the evocative poetry of Dylan Thomas.

Nice pictures and interesting story. When I saw the word Osmiridium it sounded familiar, and then when you mentioned pen nibs it shook some cobwebs in my memory. Back in the 60s and thereabouts, we used to have a fountain pen manufacturer with the name Osmiroid. Never quite had the same status as Parker though.

Nice pictures and interesting story. When I saw the word Osmiridium it sounded familiar, and then when you mentioned pen nibs it shook some cobwebs in my memory. Back in the 60s and thereabouts, we used to have a fountain pen manufacturer with the name Osmiroid. Never quite had the same status as Parker though.
Thanks MisterE, I remember the era well when Parker was the fountain pen to have. I don't recall the other brand you mention but the nearest rival to Parker was Onoto - although it's a tough stretch of the imagination to link that name to Osmiridium I guess. Ah the '60's, what wonderful, wasted years they were for me! :shrug: :D

Back