Osprey locations in Scotland

Name
Glynn
Edit My Images
No
I'm going to be in Scotland next week (based near Stirling) and hoping to find some Ospreys to photograph. Can anyone suggest some potential locations?

Happy to travel a couple of hours from base, but could do with some local knowledge if anyone has any information?

Cheers
Glynn

Last edited:
I don't know my geography of Scotland well enough.....so far away from Stirling is the place I mention below?

But one place I would like to visit myself is Avimore ospreys. Somewhere I have links on PC (on the phone right now)

Loch of the Lowes by Dunkeld may be within range. The nest is across the corner of the loch from the visitor centre and hides. Both 'resident' ospreys have returned. As far as I know there's no egg laying yet but it must be imminent. The birds don't normally fish that loch - there are others in the area that must have better fish - but I have seen one of the birds wash its feet right in front of the hide. It's a case of go with a long lens and wait it out. If you are there in the evening (one hide is open after the visitor centre closes) there's a good chance of seeing beaver too. And they have red squirrels there.
It's managed by the Scottish Wildlife Trust and have a web site and Facebook page.

Back