Osprey tour

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry I didn't realise that posting pics meant prima donnas would send messages telling me my effort were so poor I should delete them.

Well I have and you know what my account can be deleted too, I'm not going to bother asking Admin to step in and report these people, I hardly ever used this site anyway as its always come across as a bitch fight waiting to happen.

I'm happy to keep doing my own thing, shooting crap pics and not having to worry about how the sad 5 arseholes that sent me messages feel.

To those 5 stick it where the sun don't shine

Last edited:
Hello Gary. First of all, I hope you enjoyed your trip up north. Your pics are perfectly reasonable, but I think you need to take a serious look at how you frame some of them. I also think that the copyright info at the bottom in bold capitals is an issue which possibly affects how you are framing the shot in PP.

Taking each in turn:

#1 - It looks like a fair crop with lots of background noise. It's nice but it's not close enough. The bird needs to be framed further down the picture.

#2 & #3 - Both ruined by the framing. I know you have lots of room to crop differently here. Get rid of the tree trunk with the cctv stuff on it. Loch of Lowes is a difficult site to get a decent shot from due to the distance to the nest. Move both these shots up and to the right. It can also be one of the rare occasions where a portrait shot works best. One of my own shots (lady) was used by SWT (despite being a huge crop) and I found that portrait really helped.:

521615_584471961572550_419939510_n.jpg

#4 - is one of the few that is correctly framed. It's nice, but it's nothing special due once again to the crop and background noise.

#5 - #8 - I see you've had a morning with Gordon!! ;) Not sure which camera/lens you are using, but #6 is probably the pic of the bunch. Just re-frame it so that the birds tail is to the right of the picture and as a result, she will have ample room to fly into. The reflection shot doesn't work well due to the mist on the water and the central position of the bird. Pics #7 & #8 are nothing special unless you can crop-in closer without loss of IQ, which I suspect you can't.

Overall, a nice set and I'm sure it was a good week - which is just as important.:)

Last edited:
Gary

a fantastic opportunity which most of us would really want ....... it is a pity that you were not closer or had better equipment

Shots like these are always interesting and you need to try to improve them all you can

IMHO - I'd start by removing or greatly reducing your name and copyright notice, it is more noticeable than anything in the image and really distracts rather than adding to the composition and CAPITALS just don't flatter ........... if anyone wanted to remove your name it is easy to do in pp ...... and I cannot see why anyone would want to steal these images - they are low res and too small and there are much better ones around on the net ... you are almost spoiling the images because you think that they maybe be stolen??

then re-look at each image and try to focus and get the best out of the bird and composition - pp will help - they can be improved considerably

also I prefer to see just one image, maybe two - otherwise the quality of each is compared and sometimes the comments are reduced to the lowest common denominator - not always, but sometimes ....... unless you intended just to post these as an "experience"

I do not think that these images are posted at their best, and as posted they are good record shots and IMVHO, that's all

the IQ does look better on Flickr

If you don't want Critique - just say so and no-one will respond in that way - again - what do you want said - just positive comments?

Last edited:
Feel free to report it, abuse is abuse whether via PM or on the thread,and is not tolerated.
either PM me or RTM the conversations, the same as you would any other post.

Sorry I didn't realise that posting pics meant prima donnas would send messages telling me my effort were so poor I should delete them.

Well I have and you know what my account can be deleted too, I'm not going to bother asking Admin to step in and report these people, I hardly ever used this site anyway as its always come across as a bitch fight waiting to happen.

I'm happy to keep doing my own thing, shooting crap pics and not having to worry about how the sad 5 arseholes that sent me messages feel.

all I have said is in this thread - no PM's from me .......... but I would be interested to know what has been said

The shots are on Flickr anyway

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132375528@N04/19026602876/

cannot see what Gary is offended by ......... can someone explain??

This confusion as to what is Critique or abuse is really getting confusing - can a Mod please give an opinion with reference to what has been said on this thread ......... it now seems that for the sake of sanity it is just not advisable to offer any Critique at all ..... or even to discuss an image

My main comments were, (see above #4)
1). I felt his signature spoiled the images,............
(because of the font size, placement position on each image and capitals used)
2). I said that I thought that they could be improved with a little work, .......... (from Gary)
3). I said that they were presented poorly and he should relook at them ............ (because of the predominance of his signature and the size and IQ they were posted at)
4). I said that IMVHO the shots AS POSTED were good record shots ...... and that they were interesting
5) I said - If you don't want Critique - just say so and no-one will respond in that way - again - what do you want said - just positive comments? ........ (
as a result of how he responded to John)

I thought my comments would be useful

is this critique or abuse?

I'm not sure who is the "prima donna" here, but I do understand how comments can effect people as I have felt them in the past

(PS - I have tried in a number of postings, mine and others, to be pro-active on this subject to try to help clarify the situation - I have tried simple english, humour, irony and all else I can think of, even abuse to the people that I "know" - I have been direct and "indirect" in my comments but postings and reactions like this are still a daily occurrence - there is something basically wrong - I made the last posting before this "explosion" - is it me and time to leave it to the WI?)

Or are the levels of photography in this section too varied to be usefully "Critiqued"? (if that is the correct word)

Or are some of the threads inappropriate for comment on?

We should use this thread to assess what the opinions are on this subject from members of the section

I definitely think I should change to Canon:)

Last edited:
Just come back looking to find some apreaciation for my efforts in trying to help the poor mite........

FWIW, I never PM'd him.

What's the point in asking for critique? I thought I was more than fair too. :confused:

I now totally understand why guys, (far wiser than me) restrict their Critque to "Great Shot" or "Nice one"

with the odd sprinkling of "Like"

What, a monumental dummy spit?

Dear dear. Why bother posting pics if you don't want crit. If that's the case stick em in the photos for pleasure bit. You'll not get crit and likely won't improve your craft neither.

The digital age does seem to churn out folk (and I'm generalising) who, when with digital image recording device in hand, seem to think they are the finished article and have no need to progress.

I blame the hippieso_O:rolleyes:

Having only just seen this thread, i don't know much about the critique to the origin shots as they have been removed, but regards Bills critique in general, i have found it immensely useful over the past 12 months or so that i have been posting regularly on here (along with other members critique), and i hope due to all this great feedback that i have improved my craft

So keep it up guys, there are plenty of us on here who do like to hear the truth, and not just "nice shot" all the time (although the odd "nice shot" won't go amiss ;) )

Jeezo, I can be blunt but you guys are streets ahead of me

I only pop into this section occasionally if I think something might interest me, Ospreys for instance.

As an outsider, I can't help thinking there's an elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring.

send messages telling me my effort were so poor I should delete them.

But what do I know.

no one has owned up to sending him any messages though - i wonder if he meant the posting on the board ( which didn't in fact say your posts are so poor you should delete them) - sensitive little flowers probably shouldn't post for crit

I agree, but I won't go into what I would do if someone sent me a PM along the lines the OP suggests.

I`m intrigued as to what you actually would do if somebody on here sent you a nasty PM? After all, this is the internet,so quite how you would find their name and actually meet them could be interesting. Unless you`re a super hacker with special powers................:)

all he has to do is report the PM and let the mods ban the person concerned... throwing all his teddies out of his pram and deleting his pictures seems a 'slight' overeaction

What on earth makes you think I would want to find their name and meet them?

Unless you're jesting. It's not always easy to tell.

I've found it quite easy to find addresses etc via the Internet. A lot simpler than you might think if you know the right, eh search terms and functions to use.:cool:

What on earth makes you think I would want to find their name and meet them?

Unless you're jesting. It's not always easy to tell.
For the record...I am.

I didn`t see the originals, but surely they were not so bad, or were they?... the osprey shots I mean.

I only pop into this section occasionally if I think something might interest me, Ospreys for instance.

As an outsider, I can't help thinking there's an elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring.

But what do I know.

Not everyone is ignoring it, the OP has been invited to report the messages to the admins of the site, where we can take action...

Feel free to report it, abuse is abuse whether via PM or on the thread,and is not tolerated.
either PM me or RTM the conversations, the same as you would any other post.

^^ here - we take a dim view of anyone using the PM (or external communication methods) to harass members of the forum. However, to date, we've had no communications from the OP on this matter.

all he has to do is report the PM and let the mods ban the person concerned... throwing all his teddies out of his pram and deleting his pictures seems a 'slight' overeaction

I agree, to be honest, though in fairness, neither of us are privy to the nature of the PM's ....

Because, just to labour the point the "Conversations" system, like the Private Messages on the former forum software are PRIVATE. Nobody, but the members of the conversation can read them - not even staff members. So, we do have to rely on people actually reporting the messages before we can take the appropriate action. We're not ignoring it, there are a number of staff which are monitoring this thread for further developments, but as to taking action, well - we need concrete evidence...

I`m intrigued as to what you actually would do if somebody on here sent you a nasty PM? After all, this is the internet,so quite how you would find their name and actually meet them could be interesting. Unless you`re a super hacker with special powers................:)
Its happened Ade....i also believe he meant posting and not sending

Last edited:
I just can't imagine that 5 people from here sent nasty PM's to the poor chap. I'd struggle to believe that even one person would bother. Perhaps he did mean replies, in which case, I have to be the prime suspect since I was first to offer some honest crit. If anybody believes that I was overtly harsh in what's plain to see above, please tell me.:oops: :$

I didn`t see the originals, but surely they were not so bad, or were they?... the osprey shots I mean.
They were not SO bad. But there was nothing whatsoever to commend the IQ, cropping, framing, and certainly nothing to commend the huge bold copyright garbage strew across the bottom of each pic in bold white capitals.

I've come to develop a new rule for myself now. If someone posts a mediocre pic with copyright stuff all over it, I'm just not going to comment. The reason being that anyone who believes it's good enough to warrant being stolen, when it plainly wouldn't be taken by anyone in their right mind in the first place, just isn't going to take any kind of crit at all well.:rolleyes:

I just can't imagine that 5 people from here sent nasty PM's to the poor chap. I'd struggle to believe that even one person would bother. Perhaps he did mean replies, in which case, I have to be the prime suspect since I was first to offer some honest crit.

I think he did mean PM's as there are not 5 posts on the thread before Cobra's post

If anybody believes that I was overtly harsh in what's plain to see above, please tell me.:oops: :$

I think you were overly harsh

It was me. I sent all 5 PM's, one with each of my 5 accounts on here. Take me out and shoot me:rolleyes::D

I think you were overly harsh
Well thank-you for being honest enough to say so.(y) For all I know, everybody thinks as you do, in which case I must be the baddie here. Or maybe I'm just one of five baddies?

That said, 'critique' is meant to be critical, rather than blowing sunshine up someone's backside just for the sake of it. I suppose it's perfectly possible that my written words don't convey the right tone, but I've looked again at what was said and I don't see much that wasn't fair in respect of the images as they were presented.

If you saw the pics, perhaps you'd also be good enough to say what you think was harsh about what I said?

I can't say whether you were overly harsh or not as i didn't see the original pictures - however i can't see anything wrong with the way you gave crit .. its certainly direct and to the point , but its not rude or abrasive

I cannot believe anyone would have bothered to send the OP a PM - it is not as though any Critique however perceived to be unfair could be disputed…… if you saw the images ……. and I did.

He said that he was a (semi pro?), photographer who got paid and that some of shots had been stolen in the past ……. from such comments and the fact that he also stated that he had good camera equipment, (a D810 and a 600mm), you would expect a certain standard

….. I thought all that I said was helpful as were John's comments…. but I can be deluded …… I am a "Windbag" but I try to choose my words accurately

MORE IMPORTANTLY I just cannot believe that the people on here who may say "negative" things about any image would HIDE behind a PM …………..I have never had such PM's and boy sometimes I have maybe deserved the odd one.

back now to my Chocolate Cake

I…………..I have never had such PM's and boy sometimes I have maybe deserved the odd one.

It can be arranged. Which one of my 5 accounts do you want me to send them from or will a selection suffice?:cool:

I've have had plenty in the past Bill,it does happen ,one was nearly police action that I received , I put it down to a few to many beers, and I would add Marcel and the team were aware and it was my decision not to follow it through...

It can be arranged. Which one of my 5 accounts do you want me to send them from or will a selection suffice?:cool:

if you do I will change the words slightly and post it as Critique on here for one of John's Landscape images or Den's, (Dennis) Owls

I've had some pretty abusive pms (and a couple of female stalkers) and in fact at least one death threat (by email but from a now ex TP member) - but none of them resulted from photo crit

don't worry john, next time i get a young lady sending me nudey shots i'll point her in your direction ( the girl concerned sent me one of her in a bath full of bubbles and a message that said "do you like what you see ?" she got the right arse when i replied that the composition was poor, the colour temperature was out, and it was over exposed :LOL: )

I've come to develop a new rule for myself now. If someone posts a mediocre pic with copyright stuff all over it, I'm just not going to comment. The reason being that anyone who believes it's good enough to warrant being stolen, when it plainly wouldn't be taken by anyone in their right mind in the first place, just isn't going to take any kind of crit at all well.:rolleyes:
Thats kind of a sideways look at things, but I see where you are coming from ;)

It was me. I sent all 5 PM's, one with each of my 5 accounts on here. Take me out and shoot me:rolleyes::D
Bluff or double bluff?

Thats kind of a sideways look at things, but I see where you are coming from ;)

Bluff or double bluff?

Quintuple bluff. Can you not count?:)

Back