Osprey webcam - Loch Arkaig

That's fantastic. It got up to move round and we could see the eggs.

That's fantastic. It got up to move round and we could see the eggs.

The male and female take turns at sitting. Very impressive seeing either swoop up onto the nest then switch places.

Rough weather today. The sitting bird has wind blown twigs from the nest on it's back and it is peeing down.

You can see the water running off it's back....

I had a look at 2250. Bit of a wild night up there. The sitting bird is head on into the wind and sitting tight down on the eggs, but it is being buffeted about by the strength of the gusts.
To think that the pair flew 5000 miles to here for such a rough time is incomprehensible. One of the many wonders of nature.

That is good news. Hope the decent, though not too hot, weather continues to give them a good chance.

Dave

Just been watching the chick being fed.
Looks like only one egg has hatched.

Other two probably within a day or two, all being well. Be needing plenty of fish before too long.

2 chicks now.

3 chicks now. Seem to be doing well.

Superb live pictures this morning of the mother feeding all 3 chicks.

Superb live pictures this morning of the mother feeding all 3 chicks.
I was watching them last night and it seemed to me the parent was deliberately trying to feed all three ‘in turn’ rather than favouring the most ’begging’ one.

I was watching them last night and it seemed to me the parent was deliberately trying to feed all three ‘in turn’ rather than favouring the most ’begging’ one.
The difference in size between the first and last born is very distinct.
The male has been bringing plenty fish. Mostly trout and a few pike, but also brought a flatfish a few days ago.

The three young ospreys at Loch Arkaig are big now and one in particular is very close to taking its first flight.

It has been good to see them growing. I think they have been lucky with the weather this year - quite a bit of warm weather(sometimes probably too warm), not a lot of rain or high winds.

www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/osprey-cam/

Dave
They're looking good, its a bit crowded in there though :)

The three young ospreys at Loch Arkaig are big now and one in particular is very close to taking its first flight.

It has been good to see them growing. I think they have been lucky with the weather this year - quite a bit of warm weather(sometimes probably too warm), not a lot of rain or high winds.

www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/osprey-cam/

Dave
Yes, the biggest was "flying" from one side of the nest to the other yesterday.

After a very wet night the weather is much better this morning and there has been an interesting fish delivery.

The video - https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/osprey-cam/ - is live but you can drag the slider back to earlier in the day. If you go back to 05:45 this morning the male arrives with a pike.

Dave
Thanks for that, hadn’t checked in yet. The pike is interesting, flapping for a long time :( compared to the trout etc, though many are brought headless so who knows? Occurs to me, with pike‘s propensity for swallowing stuff, it might be risky with small chicks :).

On Safari at least, if you “pull” the slider up the bar widens with a scale and finer gradation, minutes instead of hours. I only recently discovered this by ‘accident’ :) .

Last edited:
Just seen the first one fly about half an hour ago (6:13am). It hasn't returned yet but I don't know if they return to the nest after fledging or just sit in trees.

Dave

Thanks for posting the link. When it took off, one of the two remaining chicks looked up as much as to say “where did he/she go”
There are often links to clips of fish etc in the comments but comments are cleared regularly :(.

Just had a look at the webcam and I can see all three youngsters hunkered down with a parent 'on guard' :)

PS JJ6 came back in minute 11:39am....................did a flyby pass and apparent circuit and landed on the nest very elegantly. So was away a fair few hours :)

Last edited:
I saw it return. I wondered how it would manage the landing back on the nest but it really looked as if it had done it many times.

All three are looking good, but having seen what dad has brought back over the weeks, they have had an excellent diet.

Dave

Looks like JJ6 left again at 6:23am this morning and returned at 7:54am following the parents bringing half a fairly large fish....................upon JJ6 arrival 'it' grabbed the fish and started to feed itself :)

ones back nope its gone again

Back