Ospreys

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Havent posted for a while. Lost my photo mojo a bit during covid and only getting it back slowly. Went to photograph Ospreys last week for a couple of days. Had a decent day on first day and a wash out on the second- but the important thing was the mojo was there to get out of bed at 3.30AM and enjoy the time. Back to landscapes soon as well I hope,

Osprey-7-1000.jpgOsprey-8-1000 (Custom).jpgOsprey-3-1000 (Custom).jpgOsprey-4-1000 (Custom).jpgOsprey-5-1000 (Custom).jpgOsprey-6-1000 (Custom).jpgOsprey-9-1000 (Custom).jpgOsprey-10-1000 (Custom).jpg

Glad you're getting your mojo back Jim. These pictures are just outstanding. Well done! :D

I've had a really bad time the last couple of years Jim, I can sympathise with losing the old mojo for things.
Great photos and excellent to see you back in the saddle.

I've had a really bad time the last couple of years Jim, I can sympathise with losing the old mojo for things.
Great photos and excellent to see you back
Keith, i have great sympathy. I hated the feeling of not being allowed then not being ar*ed to go and take photos. It’s my destress from work/ life so it can be a bit of a vicious circle. I hope you have got over your bad times or at least can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Wonderful shots, well done indeed ;)

Great to get back out, lovely Osprey shots.
My wildlife photography went out the window with Covid and I decided to sell all of my heavy kit and now do city street 'wildlife' with my little Olympus kit. :)

Super set Jim nicely done

Truly wonderful.

Lovely shots, you are certainly back with a bang. I think the mojo thing is something we all go through every now and then. I find throwing some money at a new bit of kit or a trip cures it!!
Were these taken at Rutland Water?

Lovely shots, you are certainly back with a bang. I think the mojo thing is something we all go through every now and then. I find throwing some money at a new bit of kit or a trip cures it!!
Were these taken at Rutland Water?
Taken in aviemore

Was pleased to see one during a walk on Thursday, but unfortunately too far away for anything even approaching a decent photo. Yours are outstanding, thanks for sharing them.

What a great set of images for the first effort, very good indeed, and I am sure I could not even get these shots with full mojo ! !
Not my first effort. Not my main genre but I get a kick out of wildlife and love the larger birds of prey especially and sitting on your backside in a hide trying to work out if the mojo is back is a decent way to check without getting too wet or cold

Not my first effort. Not my main genre but I get a kick out of wildlife and love the larger birds of prey especially and sitting on your backside in a hide trying to work out if the mojo is back is a decent way to check without getting too wet or cold
What gear are you using and your AF mode, ie single point, single point expanded, zone etc ?

these were on a d500 and a last gen sigma 120-300, the one before the sport introduced. AF-C and typically D25 or GRP.

as its not my main genre i find getting the right autofocus settings the most difficult. I dont do it enough to be able to compare keeper rates and sometimes it will be pot luck, especially in low winds, if the bird comes flying towards you or leaves the pond at 90 deg to your shooting. Spray and pray does come into it but then again if i look at a sequence of 10 1/2000s shots at 10fps there is a chunk of pray as to where the wings are, the speed of movement of these is fantastic. I just wish i had the confidence/rigour to release the back button and reacquire but i dont see enough dives to let go. Might be different if there was a timetable and you knew another would be along soon.

It's a wonderful set. I have to go here, been meaning to but not done it as of yet.

Last edited:
What a fab set Jim, an amazing sequence of shots. .

Back