Other old stuff

I love fountain pens, cuff links and good suits, white shirts and silk ties and good underwear, glass fibre fishing rods from Hardy.

I believe that the essence of all of this is about personal standards, unfortunately those standards are to expensive for most everyday working people now, me included as most of what I have is from the 70,s and 80,s when I had spare money. The underwear is long gone. :)

Last edited:
Mmmm so what do you wear now Richard??!!!......No, on second thoughts please don't bother enlightening us :D :D :D

That,s OK, I was not about to give my secret away.:p

How does power steering reduce CO2 emissions?

Steve.
ELECTRIC power steering because then there's no mechanical pump that has to be be driven while the car does its rolling-road phoney CO2 emissions test ... and you need power steering to cope with the unnecessary oversized tyres that fashion, not grip, now demands on cars!

Double edge safety razor for me too.....cannot get on with modern stuff and what's with this 4 blades for a closer shave??.
If this thread's about old stuff that performs as well as new, I have to say I far prefer my vibrating Gillette Fusion razor with FIVE blades [I've just looked] and a AAA battery in the handle. It works better than any previous safety razor I've owned just as, sadly, Gillette aerosol gel is better than Ingram's shaving soap on a badger brush.

Now I have typed it out like that I feel quite old (and I am not yet 50……)

Mark
I'm disappointed, Mark! You TYPED it yourself!? I had rather hoped you'd dictated it to a secretary who typed it for you, posted it to an agency and they put it on TP for you :p ;)

I am like Andy, but I do have a collection of Records and a stubborn liking of books over kindles (buts that's because a full book shelf makes you look smart).

Nonsense. When I was learning to drive, hardly any cars had power steering.

Steve.

The steering on both my 1992 Sierra and my 1994 Polo were so heavy I could barely turn it under 10 mph, this made parking... Exciting. Power steering is largely just another convenience to make life easier for people who just want to get somewhere, not experience the drive or feel connected to the road, that's for enthusiasts. I'm sure we, of all people, can appreciate that, same goes for fountain pens, safety razors, records/cd's, film, dslrs etc etc. The great thing about the internet is that these minority pass times find a niche to inhabit the problem is that people filling these niches sometimes forget that not every one cares.

Although I'm not sure how any one in a car can feel connected to the road in a tonne of glass and steel...
/Snide cyclist swipe ;)

ELECTRIC power steering because then there's no mechanical pump that has to be be driven while the car does its rolling-road phoney CO2 emissions test ... and you need power steering to cope with the unnecessary oversized tyres that fashion, not grip, now demands on cars!

Rolling road fuel consumption figures are for benchmarking they're not going to tell you exactly what you consumption will be on the day there are far to many factors to even begin to model. How would you propose a fair comparison?

A vehicle is only supposed to be steered when it is physically moving forward/backwards.

True but particularly for large vehicles, it's useful to be able to turn the wheels whilst stationary for tricky manoeuvres. Still possible without power steering but easier with.

In the late 1980s I used a Mercedes truck which had no power steering and a cable parking brake which was not strong enough to hold it for a hill start. If someone had told me I was using a truck built in the 1940s I would have believed them.

It even had a wedge strapped to a side panel which you were supposed to put under the wheel when parked on a hill.

Steve.

I'm still using a video player and recorder for my TV...stacks of videos from Bob the builder to fairly recent films at boot sales for 10-20p each. Mind you a guy was selling some nice films on DVD like Alexander (directors cut) and Kingdom of Heaven for 30p each and bought a few as I also have a dvd player

I've not long got my 1984 Record Ace bike back on the road again. It still goes well (if only my legs went as well!) It's a good job that it's flat round here, or I'd never be able to pull those gears.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/NickBT1/RecAce2_zps8f205407.jpg

A bit old hat I know, with its 531C tubing, friction shifters, external cables and Mavic MA40 wheels but a lot prettier than modern skew wiff Cannondale frames

I've not long got my 1984 Record Ace bike back on the road again. It still goes well (if only my legs went as well!) It's a good job that it's flat round here, or I'd never be able to pull those gears.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/NickBT1/RecAce2_zps8f205407.jpg

A bit old hat I know, with its 531C tubing, friction shifters, external cables and Mavic MA40 wheels but a lot prettier than modern skew wiff Cannondale frames

Nice looking bike, I remember Reynolds 531... I wonder if they still make it? Are they normal tyres or tubs?

Nice looking bike, I remember Reynolds 531... I wonder if they still make it? Are they normal tyres or tubs?

Tyres are normal wire on clinchers, just a bit on the skinny side. I think 531 may be available to special order but it's been superseded by other alloys now I think.

oh my 531 tubing...wasn't there 753 tubing a little later which was the "bees knees" ...well it was in my eyes as a young teenager! :D

I still ue clinchers now ....at least Mavic Maxtal rims are "bullet proof" compared to the aluminium carp we had to race on....one pot hole and they were buckled!

oh my 531 tubing...wasn't there 753 tubing a little later which was the "bees knees" ...well it was in my eyes as a young teenager! :D

I still ue clinchers now ....at least Mavic Maxtal rims are "bullet proof" compared to the aluminium carp we had to race on....one pot hole and they were buckled!

yeah 753 was great - heat treated, harder stiffer lighter version of 531 that pretty much needed to be silver soldered rather than brazed. Had a couple of 'em - a Custom Harry Quinn road frame and a Raleigh "funny bike" time trialler (the ones with a 700c disc at the back and a 650c at the front) - though that was actually just glued together (one of the 2nd generation dynatechs like Fignon's team rode - though it's rumoured that Fignon's was actually made by Cyfac ;) )

The old Mavic Paris-Roubaix SSC's were tough enough... though you did have to use tubs rather than clinchers... I think first clinchers I had that lasted me more than 1 season were the Open 4 CD's - though as I could build my own wheels ultimate reliability wasn't a deal-breaker - i'd just swap to another rim at the first sign of the wheel "going off".

I always suspected the F&C section was the right place for me.....now I am certain of it :)

I always suspected the F&C section was the right place for me.....now I am certain of it :)

This last week or so has convinced me this section is probably the most sane of the whole forum, and i'm proud to be the "greenie in residence"

Still Wish I got to actually use a camera occasionally... apart from the TP Day 2013 shot (dijikal sadly - i'd had a "catering related partially detached fingertip incident" on friday, and didn't fancy messing with E6 process chemicals) I can't actually remember my last deliberate "shoot"

Non powered steering cars can be heavy if tyre pressures are too low or geometry is off or like my vitesse the trunions needed greasing. Power steering makes life easier unless it fails . . . Mauling even a punto with failed electric steering is proper hard work. Makes normal unpowered steering seem light and accommodating! Once you get used to it you forget.

This last week or so has convinced me this section is probably the most sane of the whole forum, and i'm proud to be the "greenie in residence"

Still Wish I got to actually use a camera occasionally... apart from the TP Day 2013 shot (dijikal sadly - i'd had a "catering related partially detached fingertip incident" on friday, and didn't fancy messing with E6 process chemicals) I can't actually remember my last deliberate "shoot"

BIRDS!

Non powered steering cars can be heavy if tyre pressures are too low or geometry is off or like my vitesse the trunions needed greasing. Power steering makes life easier unless it fails . . . Mauling even a punto with failed electric steering is proper hard work. Makes normal unpowered steering seem light and accommodating! Once you get used to it you forget.

My Landrover 110 power steering pump is being temperamental at the moment and when it does you do need both hands on the wheel!

Mark

^^^^^
WHS I think? :D:D

Once you guys started talking about Bikes, the memories just came flooding back, 1965 all my school friends were mad bike men, road and track, that is Herne Hill.

No Dad just a wonderful working Mum and a Sister and younger Brother, Mum and Nan came to the rescue.

From Dawes just of the Fulham road a Freddie Grub with campagnolo all the way and Weinmann Brakes and wheels with a Williams chain set, GB bars and stem and I think the frame was Renolds 531, but not that sure and I believe the saddle was Brookes.

I will have to go up in the loft and find out.:)

letss just say i've had my fill of Pastel Ribbon for one lifetime...

I've just stuck my head out of this section for half an hour and remembered why I settled down in here in the first place. Don't envy your job...

It's not a Job, Steven - it's more of a "calling" - no wages involved - and (whisper this) even the Jaffa Cakes are "virtual" unless you buy your own...

Sane, F&C? You should try meeting up with some of them! ;)

As for old things, are steel framed bikes considered throwbacks? I only just got one new. Then again I also listen to Vinyl...

This is my super sunny weekend special, its a Japan import a ZRX400 from 1994 so its not old so much it lives in my kitchen, i have a large kitchin.

I used to have a full sized one the ZRX1200 but it was a bit of a beast so I downsized.

That also lived in the kitchin.

The kitchin does get quite full

Last edited:
Another thing that I'm still using is a CRT\analogue TV set (that weighs a ton) and only in the last 2 years changed my two 22" CRT computer monitors to flat screens.

This is my super sunny weekend special, its a Japan import a ZRX400 from 1994 so its not old so much it lives in my kitchen, i have a large kitchin.

I used to have a full sized one the ZRX1200 but it was a bit of a beast so I downsized.

That also lived in the kitchin.

The kitchin does get quite full

Oof, wiping my drool off the floor at the moment! Gorgeous Kawasaki!

Back