Otherworldly world of HDR

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Just spent the last couple of days learning a bit about HDR, thanks to you chaps on here (y). I was impressed by the initial impact the images had, which is the same sort of effect i had in mind for making a portfolio to advertise my work. I'm trying best i can to use the next couple of weeks to get enough photos to do this, before i need to start 'real' work.(landscape gardening). Anyway...blah, blah...Being limited by the weather and other excuses, HDR seemed a good way to focus attention on impact.

That was the theory, ive had some interesting results but not good enough to inflict them on this post, but they are here if you really, really want to http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/huujuu/

I'll get to the point now:wave: HDR can give this effect of almost more real than real, and i cant think of a better way to put it, but it's almost like a 3Dness but an extra dimension of colour instead of distance. To use a musical analogy, it reminds me of phasing where identical sounds heard in each ear are shifted slightly so the wave peaks no longer line up in each ear and you hear an extra dimension of movement in the sound. This is parlty to do with the way your brain processes 2 different signals and produces an additional perception to the sounds. It has made me think a lot more about the way something looks and the overall effect of the 'sound' that makes up the picture which is additional to looking at the 'notes' of the composition.

It is if there is an extra resonance in the image, would you call that vividness? I suppose sound and visual words should be interchangeble all being frequencies and intensities of waves. Using Einsteins equation of E=mc2 this could translate to optical energy vortices forming around dense ares of contrast i just made that up to check if you'd fallen asleep.

I'm gad I'm not the only one who sees the audio connection. I used to do a lot of digital recording and sales to studios. When I stared with DSLR and processing it struck me how much taking a good picture is like composing and recording a song.

What you're saying here takes it a step further but a valid point for sure. It's certainly something I have thought about when I process images.

Hello, thought i was floating alone in the aether with just my mussings to keep me company!

A couple of other things that have struck me the last couple of day. If you are making a tune and use synth sounds, you build the noise from scratch, that reminds me a bit of HDR as well. Actually recording live sound is more like taking the picture as you already have something to work with. I suppose (and here's me getting all post modern) the camera made a huge difference to how people looked at things and that changed art. Recording prob did the same for music but i recon synth and electronic sound changed it more. Music today is accepted, by some, as being an amalgamation of live instruments and 'new' sounds which is my approach to photography (he says after only a couple of months of owning a camera!).

Messing with the images, processing, HDR etc gives me a chance to inject some personal colour or feeling into a composition and like music, when i develop (no pun intended) my skills I would like to be able to use all this new technology to transport the viewer even further, although i'm a long way from being able to do what i have in mind. I make trance music mostly which is a good example of why technology might be a good way take photography a bit further. So if you dont hear from me on this forum for a while i'll more than likely be staring at one of my images in a dazed stupor.:wacky:

Exactly. You compose the shot (write the music) capture an image with the camera (record to disk) then take it to Photoshop to add layers and process the image (overdub and mixing) adding speciel effects along the way.

In both cases you need to work with dynamic range and noise levels - both a consideration that can be beneficial or detrimental.

And in the end you are at the mercy of the public who view or listen and tell you if it's crap or not even after all your hard work :)

I really like this effect, can you point me in the right direction of learning how to do it please?

Composing anything needs structure - a start, middle and ending - often with a story or a statement as the primary aim

To do it well needs a high degree of basic technical understanding too, both of the equipment and the requirements of said composition

If you get it right, you communicate your feelings to & through others' interpretation of your work

Get it wrong and you get Eurovision

:)

DD

Composing anything needs structure - a start, middle and ending - often with a story or a statement as the primary aim

To do it well needs a high degree of basic technical understanding too, both of the equipment and the requirements of said composition

If you get it right, you communicate your feelings to & through others' interpretation of your work

Get it wrong and you get Eurovision

DD

Or, you can just Jam. Might not be the most interesting thing for your listeners/viewers but some of the best inspiration and learning comes from just playing purely for the fun of it. Ask my kid....grrrrrr!

But wouldn't that be analogous to swapping lenses/settings all the time and 'machine-gunning' in the hope of getting a decent shot?

Jamming may work musically, but not photographically methinks

DD

i think digital allows a lot more jamming, and once you start getting the hang of it, you slow down, step back, and consider what you are doing a lot more. Film wouldnt allow for the scattergun approach, but digital has:)

But wouldn't that be analogous to swapping lenses/settings all the time and 'machine-gunning' in the hope of getting a decent shot?

Jamming may work musically, but not photographically methinks

DD

Kicking your camera around the stage after a gig, a-la drum kit, is prob not the best idea either!

Nothing 'wrong' with what you are suggesting though, not that i have lenses to change, but if i did.......

I would actually suggest messing with photography rather than following the rules i think that way you become more open to new ideas and presentations. It is fine to use your camera and processing technology however you like. A photo doesnt even need a recognisable subject. An interesting blend of colours and textures is fine. You might even get them accidentally by 'machine gunning', whatever that is.

I dont know anyone who only jams musically, it's usually for a laugh or to try out a new piece of kit, just to see what it can do and how to incorporate it it when you playing 'proper' tunes. And then the types of musician range from the classical purists to your your pop junkies to people who just create interesting sounds as samples. Ive got a synth (mooger fooger) that i can sing into or play guitar through, the output can be unrecognisable from the original sound and that sort of processing has a definate place in the wide world of music.

I know i'm new to this 'ere photo lark, but personal taste in any art is upmost. Self expression is one thing, showing other people your abilities and feelings in a way that they may approve is another.:)

Fair comment Huujuu (and what on earth is that name all about then? :LOL:)

And... machine-gunning in photography, is usually a derogatory term for people who take dozens if not hundreds of shots in the hope something's going to be good in there somewhere

DD

Huujuu is a made up name, but ive decided it means secret military technology, that the military have created an alien cover story for, to fool the public and keep them distracted.

Huujuu is a made up name, but ive decided it means secret military technology, that the military have created an alien cover story for, to fool the public and keep them distracted.

Here's a simple enough explanation I found on t'internet - makes perfect sense... :D

DD

About huujuu
It all went a bit wizzle fuzzy pop for a bit and then there were these herds of space goats nibbelling, always nibeling and a spot of nudging, but mostly nibbeling with slightly different spellings which would of been confusing if we could read but being totally blind it made not a jot of difference. And then there were these rainbows, really loud and larey and biffing into things so that everything was jingly and kinda of soft round the edges with bits of dangly fluff. The Emus were the worst though, really miserable with big fringes, one had a big minge that was well dark and cried a lot, we had to ask them to leave especially cos we were expecting a very posh leaf who might or might not have had some good contacts in the electrical circuirty department, never turned up in the end and we had to order a selection of sedimentary rocks instead. The weather was nice and sat in a corner telling stories to the kids and making tea for everyone except the bees who's legs were not really suitable and you had to hack your way through them just to move around but no one had thought to brought brung bring a machette so we had to use nuttella chocolate spread instead. Phew, what a pollarver, or it may have been a pullover cos i got sweaty and it felt a bit prickly but 7 rodents all told me simultaneously that i was imagining it so obviously i didnt believe them and carried on as if nothing had happened which confused everyone and we had to start again.

Here's a simple enough explanation I found on t'internet - makes perfect sense... :D

DD

About huujuu
It all went a bit wizzle fuzzy pop for a bit and then there were these herds of space goats nibbelling, always nibeling and a spot of nudging, but mostly nibbeling with slightly different spellings which would of been confusing if we could read but being totally blind it made not a jot of difference. And then there were these rainbows, really loud and larey and biffing into things so that everything was jingly and kinda of soft round the edges with bits of dangly fluff. The Emus were the worst though, really miserable with big fringes, one had a big minge that was well dark and cried a lot, we had to ask them to leave especially cos we were expecting a very posh leaf who might or might not have had some good contacts in the electrical circuirty department, never turned up in the end and we had to order a selection of sedimentary rocks instead. The weather was nice and sat in a corner telling stories to the kids and making tea for everyone except the bees who's legs were not really suitable and you had to hack your way through them just to move around but no one had thought to brought brung bring a machette so we had to use nuttella chocolate spread instead. Phew, what a pollarver, or it may have been a pullover cos i got sweaty and it felt a bit prickly but 7 rodents all told me simultaneously that i was imagining it so obviously i didnt believe them and carried on as if nothing had happened which confused everyone and we had to start again.

Never seen that before (shuffles feet and whistles randomly) Quick, look behind you, a Mummy robin feeding her babies, sat on a beefeaters hat, in perfect lighting conditions. (Grabs coat and makes for the door).

It might have been my, er.....evil twin, yes thats it, evil twin.

Never seen that before (shuffles feet and whistles randomly) Quick, look behind you, a Mummy robin feeding her babies, sat on a beefeaters hat, in perfect lighting conditions. (Grabs coat and makes for the door).

It might have been my, er.....evil twin, yes thats it, evil twin.

:cautious::cautious::cautious: I take that as an admission of guilt then :cautious::cautious::cautious:

:D

Were you drunk or high ??? I mean, was your evil twin drunk or high on something ??? ;)

Don't answer that - it could be incriminating

DD

Yeah man, heavy session of HDR, really strong stuff !

Just watch, they'll be legislating against it next, HDR junkies on street corners blinking each eye in quick succesion to try and get a multiple image fix. Road signs giving local restrictions on exposure times and such like. That's big brother for you, taking our feedoms and exchanging them for magic beans or umbrellas or something. Vive la resistance.

Personally jamming has never proved very productive with me - mainly because you are woring with other musicians as a team so you cant experiment without limitation. With a camera you can jam if it works for you I guess.

DD your remark about needing the technical ablity to produce good pictures - well perhaps like music - you don't need the technical ability to conceive a piece of music or a picture, but you do need it in order to produce something you can share with others. The vision needs only a creative spark.

And as for HDR - the synthesizer of photo processing. You can make beautiful sounds but you're not going to convince everyone that it sounds like a real instrument - but then again is that what it's meant to do?

For me I'd rather sit back and enjoy seeing HDR done well by a few talented folks who understand it's strengths and limitations. For me right now I am more interested in overdubs and fusion :)

Personally jamming has never proved very productive with me - mainly because you are woring with other musicians as a team so you cant experiment without limitation. With a camera you can jam if it works for you I guess.

DD your remark about needing the technical ablity to produce good pictures - well perhaps like music - you don't need the technical ability to conceive a piece of music or a picture, but you do need it in order to produce something you can share with others. The vision needs only a creative spark.

And as for HDR - the synthesizer of photo processing. You can make beautiful sounds but you're not going to convince everyone that it sounds like a real instrument - but then again is that what it's meant to do?

For me I'd rather sit back and enjoy seeing HDR done well by a few talented folks who understand it's strengths and limitations. For me right now I am more interested in overdubs and fusion :)

It's not the experience ive had with jamming Andy, but i can understand what you mean, same as anything i suppose, it's the mental attitude you bring and what you want to get out of it. As for synths, If i wanted a piano noise i'd play the piano, pretty badly, but the noise would be authentic. A good synth sound is unique. Thats what it is !You can put an original source sound into a synth and all you will ever hear is a approximation of the sound based on the abilities of the technology, but you dont put a piano sound into a synth and expect a piano sound to come out.

Then you have effects, flange, reverb, EQ. They all have different uses but none of them give you more than the original sound, they just make it suitable to it's particular application or just more interesting. It seems very similar with photography to me, once the light has been turned into digital information (apologies to film uses, but digital will surpass analog when it can mimic at the atomic level) there aint no going back, you choose to try and mimic real life, enhance it or create something new. How cool is that?

I'm excited about HDR, i can imagine HDR movies where the picture quality is akin to 'Flying Daggers' or 'Pans Labyrinth' and then, in a kinda CGI stylee the HDR effects morph into something dreamlike or fantasy, as suits the scene..., and then back again......and thats just one idea. HDR is an additonal toy, it enhances and evolves what we've already got, we can play with it, be inspired by it, dislike it, ignore it......I really do go on sometimes.

(y)

Back