OTT Home Networks (share your layouts)

Edit My Images
No
I'll show you mine if you show me yours!!

Added a DMZ to the home network for a project I'm working on. It's getting a bit silly now, so I thought a diagram would be useful:

ArShFQJ.jpg

Knocked the diagram together quite quickly using https://creately.com/

Most the servers are running Ubuntu but I'm shifting things slowly over to Debian
Using Plex for our DVD/Bluray collection - I'm thinking about swapping it out for Emby very soon.

Total power consumption of this lot at idle is just shy of 90W including the UPS which carries a ~15W overhead. That's not bad considering the 24-port switch, and out-of-band management on both the main/backup servers. The main server has an additional quad port Intel NIC which increased it's power idle consumption from 15W to ~23W. The newer Intel Cards are more energy efficient so at some point I'll be able to save another few Watts there.

The backup server uses WakeOnLAN so it's literally only on the for the backup window. That said, it uses 5W switched off. I think a more efficient power supply will reduce it somewhat.

The Brix is used mainly for seeding Linux ISOs, I'll shift that function onto the NUC soon which will cut 8W out of the idle power consumption. I

And maybe later in the year I'll try and find a more efficient UPS. Be nice to get it all down to 60W idle.

I know there are people here with crazier set-ups than this!

Last edited:
Why do you need a Demilitarized Zone?

:coat:

Yours is way more complicated than mine, I don't even have VLANs yet, though I do have a switch with that capabilty sat in its box waiting for me to bung it in the comms cabinet and set it up. My servers are all virtual running on an R710 (this includes the virtual server running pfSense to act as a PPPoE router to connect between the VDSL modem and main network switch) and one of the power inputs to that runs through a UPS.

Only one WAN connection - 40/10 FTTC. I had been giving serious consideration to getting a second on the same login to provide double the throughput (my ISP will set up load balancing at their end for people with multiple connections and pfSense can handle it at mine) and redundancy in the event of a line failure, but now the fault in my dropwire causing intermittenet disconnects has been fixed (after a dozen openreach engineer visits) it is stable so I haven't bothered.

Well, here's mine, not overly complicated but does everything I need, there are some elements I've not listed, such as connected Chromecasts and such, but the majority is shown in the diagram.

Home.jpg

Mines too boring these days to bother doing a diagram but it's essentially:

Ground floor
Cable Router/ap - 150/10mb
Chromecast TV
Powerline "gigabit" link to 1st floor

1st Floor
Powerline "gigabit" link to ground floor
16 port managed gigabit switch*
Desktop PC*
N40L Microserver (W2008r2, 8Gb ram, Quad intel NIC, 13Tb over 2 internal/external arrays) - File/print, DHCP, DNS, Hyper-v*
N40L Microserver (ESXI 6.5, 16Gb ram, Quad intel NIC) - VM labs and some live migration from Hyper-v*
Basic AP for covering deadspot*
Chromecast Audio (connected to SMSL dac and Yamaha HS5)
*all 1st floor IT kit supplied by APC Smart UPS 1500

Can't be bothered to do a diagram:

Lounge -
Sky Router (VDSL)
Raspberry Pi 2 Running Kodi

Garage
Cisco 1803 Router
Cisco 3560 Switch
Philips Hue Bridge (for Lights)
Cisco 1142 AP (PoE)
CCTV Camera Rear Garden (PoE)
CCTV Camera Front Door (PoE)
CCTV Camera Garage Door (PoE)
Linux Server with Several Hard Drives acting as a NAS

Office
Cisco 2960X Switch
Cisco 1142 AP (PoE)
CCTV PC Running BlueIris
Cisco IP Phone

Bedroom
Raspberry Pi 2 Running Kodi

Everything is cabled in, nothing on Wifi other than our handheld devices and Macbook etc.

I want to add two more CCTV Cameras in the future once I have worked out how to get cables to the locations.

I'll do a visio diagram tomorrow during lunch for mine. Liking what I have seen so far. Sadly my switch is just a dumb one so no vlan capability there but it's a decent 3com one, so I don't mind. Pfsense for me too.

Back