Otter in northants (new Pic added)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I no this picture sucks but i was happy to see them where i live .

Quite impressed with the d7100 at iso6400 thou. The sigma isnt quite up for the job at these light conditions.

Anyway just a happy moment to see them for me in the wild.

DSC_1523 by mdk photos, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Mark, great capture considering the conditions. I am also Northants so would love to know where this was taken - the River Nene presumably?

Thx for the comment.

This was taken on a very small stretch of the river tove near stoke bruene.
Has made me consider a nikon 70-200 vr for this. I may hire one for the weekend as I have a few things I need to shoot this weekend.
I think I need to find more nikon users near me so I don't have to hire kit before I think about buying it lol

Great to see a "wild one" (y)
And the location is interesting too, as I know a couple of people that have been
involved in a project to "help them out" in Old Stratford.
But I think that is the Little Ouse there, not the Tove?

Nice find, was it on its own, looks like a male to me.

That day it was on its own. I saw one the day before and it appeared to be a lot bigger.
It did give me a look as the shutter was released on the next shot.
Im thinking about buying a 70-200 2.8 as there appears to be a lot more to be seen in that spot. This was a rushed shot as I was trying to get a bead on a kingfishwr as well.
I have reported these sightings to the powers that be and have had feed nack that they are news to them so hopefully its good news. But I shall endeavour to get some better shots somehow.

That day it was on its own. I saw one the day before and it appeared to be a lot bigger.
It did give me a look as the shutter was released on the next shot.
Im thinking about buying a 70-200 2.8 as there appears to be a lot more to be seen in that spot. This was a rushed shot as I was trying to get a bead on a kingfishwr as well.
I have reported these sightings to the powers that be and have had feed nack that they are news to them so hopefully its good news. But I shall endeavour to get some better shots somehow.

Put the time in and they will come, don't fall into the trap of baiting it only cause's issues later on.... We've had resident Otters at my local lake for the best part of three years and they have been wonderful to watch and despite the moaners the river system and lake are healthy and well stocked... I arranged recently an evening with a chap called James Williams, great to swap info and talk about their behaviour.... good luck, look forward to seeing the pictures.

No will not be baiting don't agree with it.

More than willing to put the time and effort In. Esp when it involves these lovely creatures.

No will not be baiting don't agree with it.

More than willing to put the time and effort In. Esp when it involves these lovely creatures.

Good for you, enjoy and i look forward to seeing the pictures.

Down that way on Wednesday, so I may be tempted to find it, (help appreciated) I called at Thetford a few days ago, but no otters now, locals blame the photographers going in the river for closer shots and baiting them, don't know if that's the true reason, or some kind of pollution that the River Authority was looking into, but some locals where not at all helpful when they saw I had a camera

In a nice greedy way luckily ;) its on private property where i have found these.

If it wasn't then i would have no issues with sharing on here.

There are meant to be some further up on the main tove near towcester somehwhere but i have no more info than that tbh sorry

Back