Otter slipping ashore (pics added 16/03/15)

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
My first half-decent Otter shots in almost exactly one year. I saw this one fishing at a spot I'd never tried before - As I approached, I spotted a stream with a fair amount of spraint where it met the sea, so I got in to position downwind and waited.. After a few minutes the Otter swam ashore and disappeared off up the stream..

Otter, Shetland, 2015 by Crieffy., on Flickr

Otter, Shetland, 2015 by Crieffy., on Flickr

Otter - Shetland by Crieffy., on Flickr

John

Great spot and well taken :)

Cheers, such a thrill to photograph one after such a long time. Sadly my local population have been severely hit by weather and roadkills over the last year:( I still get a few on the trailcam - but they're further along the higher cliffs and just about impossible to photograph.

Will be trying this spot again next weekend...

Sorry to hear of the losses, seems strange to think of 'roadkill' of the otters up there!
Hope to see some more images of these fantastic creatures :)

Sorry to hear of the losses, seems strange to think of 'roadkill' of the otters up there!
Hope to see some more images of these fantastic creatures :)

There's been 30+ in the last year - a lot of extra traffic due to the building of a gas plant - bad weather maybe playing a part too.

One I found a few months ago - managed to drag himself to the beach before dying from chest and leg wounds.

iphone 5 311 by Crieffy., on Flickr

iphone 5 318 by Crieffy., on Flickr

iphone 5 347 by Crieffy., on Flickr

iphone 5 342 by Crieffy., on Flickr

It's a shame to hear about the otters.

Hopefully they'll bounce back and I'm pleased that you've found a new spot.

always enjoy seeing your otter shots pal. Keep them coming.

Hi John
Nice to see you posting your otter shots looks like you are having a bit of good luck finding them as well as a bit of hard work no doubt. Keep them coming.
Regards
Richard

Lovely shots of the Otters. Not so keen on the dead portraits

Yeah it's not a great sight - sadly quite frequent the last year or two though.

Some new ones from the weekend..

The backgrounds are a bit busy in the first two, but unavoidable in this instance. The third was a tricky back-lit one, but the D800 did a grand job of getting some detail from the shadows.

Otter, Shetland - 2015 by Crieffy., on Flickr

Reactions: den
Yeah the background probably wouldn't be what you would choose if you had the choice. But the nature of the shot means you have what you have. The secret is to get a good shot against the odds, and you have three very fine shots. Well done mate.

That was a good sized fish once upon a time. The last one has come out really well.

Back