Otter

tim

Name
Tim Preston
Edit My Images
Yes
There's been an Otter showing extremely well in a small town in South Shropshire on the River Severn. I could resist the temptation no longer this morning and took the 30 minute drive down to try my luck. I couldn't believe it, within seconds of arriving there it was!

It put on a good display for an hour or so diving in and out of the currents and catching fish. This is in the middle of a town centre with hustle and bustle all around.

First impressions weren't great and if anything it was a little rude!

Otter River Severn Bridgnorth Shropshire 12.04.2015 (1 of 1)
by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Gudgeon for breakfast

Otter with its breakfast River Severn Bridgnorth Shropshire 12.04.2015 (1 of 1)

A little backstroke, warming the belly in the sun

Otter back stroke River Severn Bridgnorth Shropshire 12.04.2015 (1 of 1)

I think this is my favourite, you can see its body just hanging in the water

Otter Claws River Severn Bridgnorth Shropshire 12.04.2015 (1 of 1)

In the end though it did manage a smile before I left.

Otter smile River Severn Bridgnorth Shropshire 12.04.2015 (1 of 1)

I have never seen a wild Otter before and to spend an hour watching it moving in and out of the currents and jumping like a Dolphin was an experience I will not forget. Will I go back, what do you think?

Nikon D7100. Tamron 150-600mm

Fantastic to have that so close to town and happily making the best of life ... great to see, thanks for posting :)

Jealous I am ;)

Great to see and in what is a disturbed environment but more importantly speaks well of how clean that river is!

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your comments. I've been back on two further occasions with no joy. The water level has dropped loads though.

He's a bit rude in the first shot poking his tongue out at you. The third photo is beautiful, if a little soft. The pose and framing really make it special. Even the disturbance in the water adds to the interest.

I hope you see it again soon.

Back