ouch !

knocker

Suspended / Banned
Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
rang lehmans today about a replacment front glass for my 70-200L f2.8........£230 for the glass and £107 for fitting/service and calibration :eek:

it just might have to stay as it is for a while :thinking:

anybody else had stupid prices for repairs ?

I emailed them a couple of years ago to ask how much to replace the glass sensor filter on a 5D that had an unremoveable blob stuck on it. I knew a ballpark figure was well under £400. They said £700 for the entire sensor unit. I couldn't be bothered to get back to them to query it. I ended up eventually getting the blob off myself.

It was a bit of pollen. Only tiny, but made a sizeable black blob on my photos. Wet cleaning wouldn't move it. I tried dripping Eclipse fluid on it and keeping it wet to try to soften it, which didn't work. So thinking I would have to send it away and what they would do themselves before getting to the point of having to replace the glass, I thought sod it, nothing to lose. I got the corner of a wet swab and went to town on it. I scraped harder and harder. The glass started to squeak, a bit more, then off it came. No damage done.

It was a bit of pollen. Only tiny, but made a sizeable black blob on my photos. Wet cleaning wouldn't move it. I tried dripping Eclipse fluid on it and keeping it wet to try to soften it, which didn't work. So thinking I would have to send it away and what they would do themselves before getting to the point of having to replace the glass, I thought sod it, nothing to lose. I got the corner of a wet swab and went to town on it. I scraped harder and harder. The glass started to squeak, a bit more, then off it came. No damage done.

:eek:
I..I..OMG I wouldn't dare touch my sensor.

You're one brave human :clap:

You're not actualy touching the sensor itself- just an Infra Red glass filter covering the CCD chip itself. You could still do plenty of damage though- as the IR filter glass is quite thin and could scratched or otherwise permanently marked.

Interestingly some photographers mod thier cameras by removing the IR filter- you'd have to pretty brave to do this at home.....

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod4.html

Better IR response though.

i don't see what the fuss is about sensor cleaning, you only clean the glass not the actual sensor, as long as you use the proper swabs and fluid and keep the swab wet it's difficult to damage anything

i don't see what the fuss is about sensor cleaning, you only clean the glass not the actual sensor, as long as you use the proper swabs and fluid and keep the swab wet it's difficult to damage anything

Meh, the way i looked at it before this thread was; if you touched the sensor (glass whatever) a little to hard or with something you shouldn't that's it, the sensor was broke :bonk: guess i was wrong.. I've learned something kinda big today :D

Not so much bravery as calculation. If there's a certainty that it will cost me say £300 to have somebody else fix it, then there really isn't much to lose by having a go myself. I may have paid somebody to do exactly what I had done for myself. If I had caused any further damage it would have still cost me a new filter.

I emailed them a couple of years ago to ask how much to replace the glass sensor filter on a 5D that had an unremoveable blob stuck on it. I knew a ballpark figure was well under £400. They said £700 for the entire sensor unit. I couldn't be bothered to get back to them to query it. I ended up eventually getting the blob off myself.
Years ago I queried the cost of repairing a stiff zoom on a lens I had. The price quoted was £100. The lens only cost £80 new. The name tells you enough about them.

Back