Oulton Park - 24.02.10 Trackday

Edit My Images
Yes
Due to starting a new job my new weekend is Wednesday and Thursday, which aint great but it does mean I can get down to the midweek trackdays at Oulton. If last year is anything to go by this will probably be the one and only time I make it there in 2010, but I'll try and show my face more often!

I set off around 10am and, after negotiating all the average speed cameras along the way, as well as nearly taking out two walkers who decided to step out in front of me on Coach Road :)gag:) and the sat nav trying to take me in via one of the service routes, I eventually made it to a rather overcast, chilly and slightly damp Oulton for around 11am.

1. CAF bling on the pit straight:
4387248634_f8034d1aec.jpg

The plan was to meet up with a few friends, as two of them had paid to go out on track (RS Clio 172 and Ford Fiesta Zetec S) and I eventually found them hiding away in the end garage. Unfortunately the ZS was experiencing some fairly major issues, with the top end tapping and the oil pressure half what it should have been.

2. Give the man a car to fix, but first let them gather en masse and ponder the issue:
4386485059_f5f330fba4.jpg

So with the Fiesta struggling to get in any track time, it left the Clio. Despite the owner claiming that it is a standard engine (which it appears to be), it sure does fly around the track!

3. I'm a Clio 172, I'll have you know:
4384818733_5a4ef35786.jpg

As 12noon approached we were all sat by the pit wall watching the cars whizz past, when out of nowhere a Subaru squirms under heavy braking, the back steps out and it proceeds to travel at right angles along the pit straight before stuffing it into the armco. With a black Mégane already having gone straight on into the tyres at the same corner in a separate incident and with both cars suffering significant cosmetic damage, the lunch break was called 30 minutes early, allowing repairs to the track to get under way.

As all the cars came off the track it allowed me a chance to catch a better look at some of them. This car in particular made me laugh - it didn't have a single straight panel on it and the silencer on the exhaust was huge, but it was lapping well..

4. Excuse me lads, coming through:
4384844109_a0e4795dd4.jpg

After the lunch break three of us went over to what I believe is Druids for a little while. The people that own this car had a proper set up going on; full interlocking floor mats, team logos on just about every piece of equipment and a car that gleamed like a sleek ruby.

5. Such a good looking car:
4386487565_84e4b21a39.jpg

As the hours passed and the shivers slowly set in, the appearance of the wintery sun midway through the afternoon went some to relieve the numb mind and toes.

6. Exiting Druids:
4384767721_38e3ceba56.jpg

Last edited:
With some people starting to call it a day, we popped over to Cascades(?) before calling it quits and making our own way home through the rush hour traffic.

7. Clio into the sinking sun:
4384790989_ed89071161.jpg

Overall a good few hours, but was a bit restricted as to where I could go with friends being there. I only saw one other person with a dslr, but couldn't see any TP straps or anything; maybe some other time!

Thanks,
Ian :)

Your exposure is a bit iffy pal!

The first two are a bit blown. 3 works well, very good black and white good shutter speed to.

4 is a bit of a over exposed snapshot ;) Winter sun for you though!

5 is a cracking pan but a bit bright

6 is very nice, like a lot!

The last one is also good!

Great write up rather than just pictures! good stuff. Shame I couldnt make it!

agree with Matt about exposure
However
I do like this set, loving the storyline and the pictures show good composition and variety

I pushed the exposures on all of them as they looked a bit dull to me, probably shouldn't edit as much as I do on the laptop and when I'm tired lol. 4 is the only one that came out of the camera as overexposed, but the dynamic range is huge so I just exposed for the right parts (his face and the front of the car), I suppose it does feel a little like a snapshot though.

Thanks for the feedback, if you like I'll post up some 'less exposed' versions? I'll have to boot up the old computer though!

Edit:

Right, I've just updated my original post with the ammended images (I knocked down the exposure for #'s 1, 2 and 5 by 2/3rds). I'm still on the laptop, but they might look better

Please let me know what you think. C&C much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Much better fella. Look at the hoodys in 2. There are a lot more tones etc. These are much better now :)

Edit. By hoodys I do mean the clothing :LOL:

yeah
much better
really like the presentation style of the whole set.
just proves it aint just takin pics.
sort of photo journalistic :D

Back