Oulton Park 4.4.09. Anyone for some marmite?

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, I decided (and also after a few PMs with Dangermouse(thanks mate :))) that I need to take pictures that stand out from the usual Oulton lot. That makes me stand out amongst everyone else. So I had a good think and this is what I came up with. Harsh C and C most welcome.

1, Cockpit
IMG_1961.jpg

2. Into the woods.
IMG_2022.jpg

3. To much into the woods?
IMG_2027.jpg

4. Scooby, scooby doo.
IMG_2040.jpg

5. Could be a good shot for Drift one :shrug:

IMG_2052.jpg

C and C please. Preferably extremly critical.

Thanks
Matt

cracking shots as usuall
#1 I once had my hand out but during a roll ......28stitches later to sew 2 fingers back on lol....
#2 just superb I love this one
Not quite sure about 3 n 4 but 5 works well

Good set

#2 is just a stunner :clap:

cracking shots as usuall
#1 I once had my hand out but during a roll ......28stitches later to sew 2 fingers back on lol....
#2 just superb I love this one
Not quite sure about 3 n 4 but 5 works well

Good set

#2 is just a stunner :clap:

Thank you very much indeed. I was really happy with 2 and 4 TBH.

I'm a massive fan of number 2, seriously good stuff! The others don't really do it for me, but it's good to see new things, if no-one experimented photography would be very dull indeed!

Chris

I'm a massive fan of number 2, seriously good stuff! The others don't really do it for me, but it's good to see new things, if no-one experimented photography would be very dull indeed!

Chris

Thank you very much Chris!!!!

No 2 will be seen in a mag soon probably front cover imho

I wish!! I am sending them to 'drift one' as I know the guys :)

Right, I decided (and also after a few PMs with Dangermouse(thanks mate :))) that I need to take pictures that stand out from the usual Oulton lot. That makes me stand out amongst everyone else. So I had a good think and this is what I came up with. Harsh C and C most welcome.

1, Cockpit

2. Into the woods.

3. To much into the woods?

4. Scooby, scooby doo.

5. Could be a good shot for Drift one :shrug:

C and C please. Preferably extremly critical.

Thanks
Matt

you asked for it: this is obviously just my opinion and i'm probably not qualified to crit but here goes:

1. Great composition, poor subject choice for the following reasons:
cars dirty, a rareity for track shots
drivers helmet looks plain 'wierd' with the visor down, passengers helmet isn't suited to the application (ie bike lid in a car)
Shouldn't have the window down let alone the arm hanging on the frame (thats a safety thing)
as i said, great composition but maybe the wrong car to shoot

2. love it, simple as that, good detail in the car and the right mix of scenery and action :clap::clap:

3. too much foliage as you suggest

4. would rather the whole car in frame rather than being chopped out, cracking blured wheels though.

5. love it but could you not 'tweak' the colours in the dust to give it that bit more 'oomph'

All in all, as you said, DIFFERENT! and as has been said, if we all shot the same stuff it'd be a dull old world! :clap:

Regards
Charlie

you asked for it: this is obviously just my opinion and i'm probably not qualified to crit but here goes:

1. Great composition, poor subject choice for the following reasons:
cars dirty, a rareity for track shots
drivers helmet looks plain 'wierd' with the visor down, passengers helmet isn't suited to the application (ie bike lid in a car)
Shouldn't have the window down let alone the arm hanging on the frame (thats a safety thing)
as i said, great composition but maybe the wrong car to shoot

2. love it, simple as that, good detail in the car and the right mix of scenery and action :clap::clap:

3. too much foliage as you suggest

4. would rather the whole car in frame rather than being chopped out, cracking blured wheels though.

5. love it but could you not 'tweak' the colours in the dust to give it that bit more 'oomph'

All in all, as you said, DIFFERENT! and as has been said, if we all shot the same stuff it'd be a dull old world! :clap:

Regards
Charlie

Thank you very much Charlie and agree with you on the whole. I suppose a proper racing driver wrestling the wheel would look muuuuuch better so will aim to get that at a race meet :)

Thank you very much indeed, all been valused, read and noted for the future :)

no problems matt, i think you may struggle with the in-car shot of a racing driver because they 'should' have the window shut but you'll find out before i do, racings not my thing!

slightly OT but had a good nosey around your site, cracking work, if only there were more young people like you around (i'm 19 btw not 75 haha)

no problems matt, i think you may struggle with the in-car shot of a racing driver because they 'should' have the window shut but you'll find out before i do, racings not my thing!

slightly OT but had a good nosey around your site, cracking work, if only there were more young people like you around (i'm 19 btw not 75 haha)

I was thinking a single seater or a open topped car, because, as you say, they will proberly have there window shut.

Thank you very much. Being updated at the minute as I didnt do it for over a month :bonk:

Thank you very much indeed, where is the blushing emoticon

:agree: with c_robinson. take it picture 1 was on the drift track not the race track. Did you get any good passanger rides? :wave:

The Dimma BMW shot is fantastic!
Its a shame that Jim's NSX is a little too camouflaged by the trees. That shot would have worked better a month ago before spring had arrived!
The shot of my Scooby looks great, but again I'd like to see the whole car.
Great action shots though and different to previous posts.

Do let me know if you have any more of my Scooby or Jim's NSX.

now thats what im talking about!

1,2,3 Awesome

Thank you very much John!!

top notch matt!!! great panning skills!

Thank you very much

:agree: with c_robinson. take it picture 1 was on the drift track not the race track. Did you get any good passanger rides? :wave:

Thank you very much.

All of these are drift track shots.

Yeah, I went in a Noble and a 2 eleven.

The Dimma BMW shot is fantastic!
Its a shame that Jim's NSX is a little too camouflaged by the trees. That shot would have worked better a month ago before spring had arrived!
The shot of my Scooby looks great, but again I'd like to see the whole car.
Great action shots though and different to previous posts.

Do let me know if you have any more of my Scooby or Jim's NSX.

Thank you very much David. I have a few that I will dig out for you later.

Matt.. will be to the point! not for me mate! but ace to see different angles and thoughts.. this is how we all get better and should be encouraged! :)

I know what your thinking and i have tried to get some diff angles to stand out from the crowd, not easy but im pritty sure you will get it very soon! :)

my humble thoughts if they help...! will be frank sure you wont mind :)

1. prob a nice keeper for the driver as a memory of the day but doesn't show any context, why is he driving, why is the passenger looking a little nervous? no feel of speed.. (weird how the grass is greener through the drivers window!!?)

2. really nice shot, nice light! one to be proud of! i think a slightly quicker shutter would have helped to show the car off, but fair play for been so sharp (i cant do it! :( Im not a photoshop fan ( i think its cheating!) but I think needs the brown patch on the track removing and the tyre wall in the foreground... the shot of the set!

3. lots of context! i quite like it in a strange way.. poss a gap in the trees with a car in the gap could be good... shame they have put the fence up now! :( may have worked just as the leaves come out so less cover but still green.. only a year to wait! or fall leaves in the sun would be very nice!

4. nice shot but bit like comment for 1.. what does it show? reckon could work better if there was spray / dust off the front wheel? try on a wet day and could be ace??

5. again like 1 and 4 but better as there is dust which for me shows some action and purpose to the shot?

hope this gives you something to think about!

bob :)

Matt.. will be to the point! not for me mate! but ace to see different angles and thoughts.. this is how we all get better and should be encouraged! :)

I know what your thinking and i have tried to get some diff angles to stand out from the crowd, not easy but im pritty sure you will get it very soon! :)

my humble thoughts if they help...! will be frank sure you wont mind :)

1. prob a nice keeper for the driver as a memory of the day but doesn't show any context, why is he driving, why is the passenger looking a little nervous? no feel of speed.. (weird how the grass is greener through the drivers window!!?)

2. really nice shot, nice light! one to be proud of! i think a slightly quicker shutter would have helped to show the car off, but fair play for been so sharp (i cant do it! :( Im not a photoshop fan ( i think its cheating!) but I think needs the brown patch on the track removing and the tyre wall in the foreground... the shot of the set!

3. lots of context! i quite like it in a strange way.. poss a gap in the trees with a car in the gap could be good... shame they have put the fence up now! :( may have worked just as the leaves come out so less cover but still green.. only a year to wait! or fall leaves in the sun would be very nice!

4. nice shot but bit like comment for 1.. what does it show? reckon could work better if there was spray / dust off the front wheel? try on a wet day and could be ace??

5. again like 1 and 4 but better as there is dust which for me shows some action and purpose to the shot?

hope this gives you something to think about!

Thank you very much Bob. Defiantly gave me something to think about!!

feel free to be hard on my shots as well! :)

was thinking, how about finding a purpose for your photo and try to do a mini assignment (for fun!) i.e for a web page etc so the crop suits the application. i.e tall and slim for the side of a web page or click bar thing across the top? banner for your website? may include photoshop to montage the image? go with the view of getting that shot, even if thats all you try that day!

may help you see things differently and look for new spots to shoot from??

#3 is that an NSX on the rally circuit??

I must be on my own, but these do nothing for me, could you tell me which or what market you are aiming at?

Nice set Matt, I need to try something different this weekend at Oulton. #2 would work better if it was just a tad sharper, but it's good as it is. #5 for me, really sharp and a good sense of motion with the dust being kicked up

Its great to see you trying something different Matt, I myself wanted to try something different, hence the pit shots in my other thread.

With each shot I can see what your going for. Unfortunately as they stand on there own I dont think they work too well. But in the right context I think a couple WOULD work well, for example number 2 in an advert/leaflet for drifting days at Oulton and number 5 in a 'Drift One' leaflet/website.

My favourite is number 2 though because it works as a picture on its own and creates a sense of uneasiness because I cant see where the car is going and I dont like that!:)

feel free to be hard on my shots as well! :)

was thinking, how about finding a purpose for your photo and try to do a mini assignment (for fun!) i.e for a web page etc so the crop suits the application. i.e tall and slim for the side of a web page or click bar thing across the top? banner for your website? may include photoshop to montage the image? go with the view of getting that shot, even if thats all you try that day!

may help you see things differently and look for new spots to shoot from??

Oh, trust me, if I dont like something I will say ;)

Sounds like a good idea to me!!

#3 is that an NSX on the rally circuit??

Yeah it is.

I must be on my own, but these do nothing for me, could you tell me which or what market you are aiming at?

I was just trying something different. Trying to step out of the shadows.

Nice set Matt, I need to try something different this weekend at Oulton. #2 would work better if it was just a tad sharper, but it's good as it is. #5 for me, really sharp and a good sense of motion with the dust being kicked up

Thank you very much Rich, I have a few ideas but I am keeping my gob shot :D

Its great to see you trying something different Matt, I myself wanted to try something different, hence the pit shots in my other thread.

With each shot I can see what your going for. Unfortunately as they stand on there own I dont think they work too well. But in the right context I think a couple WOULD work well, for example number 2 in an advert/leaflet for drifting days at Oulton and number 5 in a 'Drift One' leaflet/website.

My favourite is number 2 though because it works as a picture on its own and creates a sense of uneasiness because I cant see where the car is going and I dont like that!:)

Thank you very much for the input Mike!!

Excellent Matt, like the others I can really appreciate 2 & 4 in particular. Number 3 doesn't work at all in my opinion, number 1 I just don't like the photo - i.e. it dones't appeal to me, but it's pin sharp and well taken all the same.

At first I thought that Number 3 could have done wth being a wider shot, but I actually think that if it wasn't for the aerial amd the rear screen wiper, it wouldn't have crossed my mind. Nothing you can do about them I know, but I think they are for me what lead my eye's out of the picture.

Tell you what Matt I've looked at your stuff on a regular basis and its good, technically good, these, however are a different league. You've made a quantum leap with these bud, top notch (apart from 3 which is a bit too much wood :naughty:). I'm not an expert like some of the guys on here but I know a good photo and good photographer when I see one, and I just seed both. (y)

Andy

Fantastic work, great to see something a little different and I find it's good to push yourself in that way, especially if you shoot at the same track a lot (as you do, and I do at Castle Combe)

#2 is the standout image for me, lovely composition and technique, and also very odd as it looks as though a track car is attempting a rally stage. Superb.

Excellent Matt, like the others I can really appreciate 2 & 4 in particular. Number 3 doesn't work at all in my opinion, number 1 I just don't like the photo - i.e. it dones't appeal to me, but it's pin sharp and well taken all the same.

At first I thought that Number 3 could have done wth being a wider shot, but I actually think that if it wasn't for the aerial amd the rear screen wiper, it wouldn't have crossed my mind. Nothing you can do about them I know, but I think they are for me what lead my eye's out of the picture.

Thank you very much!!

Noted :) Must choose better subject!!

Tell you what Matt I've looked at your stuff on a regular basis and its good, technically good, these, however are a different league. You've made a quantum leap with these bud, top notch (apart from 3 which is a bit too much wood :naughty:). I'm not an expert like some of the guys on here but I know a good photo and good photographer when I see one, and I just seed both. (y)

Andy

Wow, thank you very much indeed Andy!!

Fantastic work, great to see something a little different and I find it's good to push yourself in that way, especially if you shoot at the same track a lot (as you do, and I do at Castle Combe)

#2 is the standout image for me, lovely composition and technique, and also very odd as it looks as though a track car is attempting a rally stage. Superb.

Thank you very much!! I am after your panning title :LOL: Only messing!!

That is because it is :p It is the Oulton Park rally stage which is polished tarmac that they do drifting on!!

well personaly not ALL wow shots but all the respect for trying the different kind of shot!
But will say i love #2 but is it just me or is there somthing in the tree just at the front of the car on the pic?
again top marks for trying something challenging and different

Thank you very much James!!! That be the tyre wall, that.

~2 is the bests of the bunch for me Matt, I'm not massively keen on the actual shot but the idea and composition wiork really well. I think with a more stand out car (could just be the colouring of the Beema) and a slightly sharper focus on teh whole car this picture coul dbe an absolute winner and a real acheivement of your goal.

The others I'm struggling with the context of the shots (open window and Scooby) or just lack of pizazz (NSX & 350x)

As said above though, great effort at something different :)

I was thinking a single seater or a open topped car, because, as you say, they will proberly have there window shut.

Thank you very much. Being updated at the minute as I didnt do it for over a month :bonk:

Thank you very much indeed, where is the blushing emoticon
#1 is an open topped car, the idiot has his sunroof open too.:wacky:
I thought people were briefed on do's and don'ts on track days before they were allowed on track.
Last one is my favourite. Others just don't seem to work for me.

no 2 is a good one, 3, all tree no car, 1 and 4 the state of the car is distracting 5 is interesting, Well worth a try though perhaps the same shots with more interesting subjects would get a better reaction. Composition Great, subjects average (not your fault Matt)

These aren't working for me Matt, sorry.

#2 has had some plaudits but for me the lighting is all wrong, most of the car is in shadow and the forground object is quite distracting. Maybe try at a different time of day?

Good on you for trying something new though. Much more interesting for me than looking at the same track shots.

#1 is an open topped car, the idiot has his sunroof open too.:wacky:
I thought people were briefed on do's and don'ts on track days before they were allowed on track.
Last one is my favourite. Others just don't seem to work for me.

Yeah they are.

Thank you, fariy nuff!!

Thank you very much for your comment.

no 2 is a good one, 3, all tree no car, 1 and 4 the state of the car is distracting 5 is interesting, Well worth a try though perhaps the same shots with more interesting subjects would get a better reaction. Composition Great, subjects average (not your fault Matt)

Thank you very much for the crit, much appreciated.

Yeah, I am going to experiment at the GTs this week so we shall see....

These aren't working for me Matt, sorry.

#2 has had some plaudits but for me the lighting is all wrong, most of the car is in shadow and the forground object is quite distracting. Maybe try at a different time of day?

Good on you for trying something new though. Much more interesting for me than looking at the same track shots.

No worreis!

I could do. Next drift day I shall give it another go and see what I can come up with!!

Thank you very much.

Back