Our House project

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,
I'm starting a new project I'm calling "Our House" (named after the song I can't get out of my head), so making a slight difference from the 365/52/12 projects.

My aim was/is to get some fairly intimate images of people in their homes, although my first image didn't quite follow that...

I'd appreciate any comments on this:

Last edited:
Good sharpness and tone, though detail seems lost both in the highlights outside the window and the shadows on the dogs back.

My personal preference would be for a little more space above and especially in front of his head - it would allow some room for us to follow his gaze a little.

One other thing stood out for me. The dogs ears are upright signifying he is alert, yet the window, because it's not perfectly vertical, is leaning against the dog dampening his energy (I'm not a real hippy, honest).

Nice pic. :)

PS Looking forward to seeing other images in the "our house" project.

Last edited:
Good sharpness and tone, though detail seems lost both in the highlights outside the window and the shadows on the dogs back.

My personal preference would be for a little more space above and especially in front of his head - it would allow some room for us to follow his gaze a little.

One other thing stood out for me. The dogs ears are upright signifying he is alert, yet the window, because it's not perfectly vertical, is leaning against the dog dampening his energy (I'm not a real hippy, honest).

Nice pic. :)

PS Looking forward to seeing other images in the "our house" project.

It was the way I did the black and white in Photoshop which caused some loss of tone, I'm going to have to play around with it.

I see your point about the window as well, I'm just very used to seeing this dog on guard at the window and to me it defined that area of it. Sort of like the guard houses at the palace.

Changed the lighting on the cropped version (first post) here's the original in black and white:

To me I think the picture is a bit too grey. Maybe try to push the contrast a bit to get more whites in and make it a bit more drammatic. Could also sharpen it a bit as well to frame the dog a little. :)

Back