Out damned Spot!

Plain Nev

Vincent Furnier
Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
Just noticed a couple of whitish spots on my shutter curtain. I presume they are some sort of fungal growth. Is there anything that can be done to treat them? Obviously the curtain is delicate, and I'm reluctant to use any sort of cleaner until I know better. Any suggestions?

I have an idea but best not try it till others have commented on it.

A gently applied cotton bud soaked in white vinegar.

A bit of a goggle search suggests vinegar or isopropy has been used with some success:

If fungus , be aware that spores are everywhere so will possibly be elsewhere in the camera too.

Is it worth having it professionally cleaned ?

This quote is sourced from an Internet forum:

Isopropyl alcohol is a type of denatured alcohol intended for situations where you need an anti-septic. It's a gentler solvent than what is more commonly referred to as denatured alcohol. I've used it to clean white spots off of shutter curtains.

Safety solvent (tetrachloroethylene) is best; quick drying, no residue, non-flammable, not harmful to materials like rubberized fabrics/silks (shutter curtains). Spray it into the lid and use a q-tip; pick up any stray threads left behind with tape...

Naptha/lighter fluid is basically the flammable version. Both can harm plastics/paints if you try hard enough.

Safety solvent (tetrachloroethylene) is best; quick drying, no residue, non-flammable, not harmful to materials like rubberized fabrics/silks (shutter curtains). Spray it into the lid and use a q-tip; pick up any stray threads left behind with tape...

Naptha/lighter fluid is basically the flammable version. Both can harm plastics/paints if you try hard enough.
Wow! That led me down a right rabbit hole. I agree, it sounds like the stuff. But all the products I could see where American based or for industrial purposes. I'm looking at lighter fluid at the moment.

Back