Out in the Mist

Keltic Ice Man

Glossary King
Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
A few weeks ago I went for a walk around Tindale tarn, in the Pennines on the north east of Cumbria.

smaller-tree-for-web.jpg

Tree-for-web.jpg

Vmistytree.jpg

As you can see the mist was quite thick in parts and sun was just trying to burn through - but failed.

Do you like them? Any thoughts for improvement - both pictures and technique :)

Thanks

Allan

Mist shots often benefit from conversion to mono. Give it a try and have a play with the levels. :)

Yep, boost the contrast slightly, you'll lose the foreground mist a bit but it does look better.

Strangely you often get a better, less noisy, picture when using a high ISO in fog. The very narrow light band gets expanded across a large range and produces a smoother image at the higher ISOs.

Yep.. try to get some contrast in there now. You need a bit more of a dark silhouette from that foreground tree as in the original.. the blacker the better. It will be a bit tricky as the shot is quite under-exposed, so you'll struggle to stop the foreground going too dark. Worth persevering with though. :smilenod:

CT said:
Yep.. try to get some contrast in there now. You need a bit more of a dark silhouette from that foreground tree as in the original.. the blacker the better. It will be a bit tricky as the shot is quite under-exposed, so you'll struggle to stop the foreground going too dark. Worth persevering with though. :smilenod:

Is that in the first picture do you mean CT ?

Sorry... yes - the first one, although it applies to the 2nd one as well.:)

I don't think there's much to be done with the 3rd. :suspect1:

I had a very quick play with levels and cropped it. What do you think?

iceman.jpg

You should be able to get something similar out of that 2nd shot. Maybe crop it a little on the right?

I'm not usually a fan of B&W conversions I don't think it does much for alot of shots.
That said I think the second shot is alot better in B&W, with a bit of fine tuning it'll be a really nice shot.
I'm no expert at this but this is my attempt
moor.jpg

Thanks CT and Gemok

I had a try with the second, and followed Bachs EXCELLENT Tutorial on making mono.:clap: Well done Bachs.

Took the sky to a point where you could hardly see the sun, as I thought the sun was detracting from the rest of the picture. Also cropped the RHS as suggested to.

b_amp_w2ndsplittree.jpg

The 3rd picture above I quite like, especially in mono, I think the texture of the picture sums up how "grotty" the day was to me.

Allan

Back