Out of date stuff.

Spirits are fine for pretty much ever
Yes, until they've been opened. Then (for whisky anyway):
"most experts agree that if you have less than half the bottle left, you should finish it within 1-2 years. If you have a quarter left, finish it within 3-4 months. The oxygen in the air oxidizes the whisky, which can impact the flavor."

I prefer the "finish it within 1-2 days" approach myself...

"most experts agree that if you have less than half the bottle left, you should finish it within 1-2 years. If you have a quarter left, finish it within 3-4 months. The oxygen in the air oxidizes the whisky, which can impact the flavor."

I have some whiskey minitures that were handed out by foremen where I used to work. Oldest I believe is 1985.

If they've not been opened they should be OK.

Same thing applies to wine - I keep empty miniature bottles so that when I open a full-size bottle I can decant what I don't drink into 175ml portions with little air left at the top. I find it works better than a vacuvin.

I thought it was illegal to leave a bottle for longer than a few days once opened.
Better safe than sorry.

Always bin it on the use by date - sometimes on the best before date as well depending on what it is.
Wish I was your neighbour - free food for life:exit:

Pah - Just scrape it off and throw the mouldy bit away.
The stuff underneath it is probably still fine (probably . . . :D)

:D Amazing to think that penicillin was discovered this way. Mould is a strange thing.

I thought it was illegal to leave a bottle for longer than a few days once opened.
Better safe than sorry.

Not illegal, just against etiquette and common decency.

@Tori_T The next bunch of spammers that come through the door?
Instead of splatting them, let's welcome them in and invite them for a little sit down with a nice cup of cocoa.
Gaah! You would think of this the day after I got Marcel to nail the door shut. :facepalm:

Two pints
1. In thec good old days sour milk made superb scones.

2 My ex was an absolute stickler for use by dates but had no problem opening and serving eg ham when purchased then offering it any time in the next few weeks as 'it is still in date'

I was too hungry to wait for the butter to soften the other day and I remembered we had some of that I can't believe it... stuff in the fridge so I spread it on the bread and it was awful but I was hungry so I ate it. When I checked the date it was three years out.

I often eat chocolates and sweets that are out of date and I've never had a problem but eating something that's three years out is probably something of a record for me. It repeated on me all night.

Assuming I'm not the only one daft enough to eat out of date stuff can anyone beat three years out?

Butter-like spreads (such as I Can't Believe It's Not Buttery usually have 'Best before' date not the 'Use by' date, in which case it means the food taste much more better before the end of 'Best before' date. After that date, it is still eatable but just that the more time after the best before date, the more it taste awful. You can still keep using it until you notice it smells bad or looks bad, like rotten food, then throw it away, but otherwise the longer it is kept in the fridge and looks fine, it is still eatable.

It is only that the 'Use by' date that is the one you must never eat/drink after that date. As in the case of milk or similar, you must use it all up before the Use by date, and if you did not finished it off, then throw it away.

There is a big different between the Best before and the Use by dates. Best before can still be used after that date, but it will only taste awful, and up to you if you want to throw it away or keep eating, only unless you see it looking like rotten then throw away anyway. Use by must never be still used after that date.

However how people manage to stay well or become ill after eating a best before date is up to their health and how well the food had been looked after.

There's no date on it, but the price should give an indication of age.
The contents is dry brown and powdery, but a wet-finger-to-tongue test says it tastes a bit stale.
I don't think I'd actually want to make a cup of cocoa with this, except as an absolute last resort...
View attachment 51220 :cautious:

Better not to use it as a drink, but keep it anyway, in case you want to MacGyverism a smoke bomb out of it.

It is only that the 'Use by' date that is the one you must never eat/drink after that date. As in the case of milk or similar, you must use it all up before the Use by date, and if you did not finished it off, then throw it away.

Couldn't disagree more.

I regularly eat yoghurt over a week past its use by date and cheese from times of yore.
Hasn't killed me yet.

I regularly eat yoghurt over a week past its use by date and cheese from times of yore.
Hasn't killed me yet.

And milk is good til it's bad, and when it's bad it's obvious :)

tssssk, I almost beat three years tonight. looking for some biscuits and found a packet of Digestives at the back of the cupboard. They'll do I thought. I opened the pack and tried to take one out... a long line of stuck together biccies made me check the date. 12th December 2012. 2 years, 11 months and 16 days! Didn't taste too bad tbh.

I would be wanting to know what made them all stick together

Slugs can get into the tiniest of places

How long something will keep in a fridge depends on how cold the fridge is.

Optimum temp is about 2C (NOT -2C).

At that temperature I have had eggs keep 3-4 months past their sell-by date with no problems at all - but I always crack into a cup first to check the smell.

I also have a few tins of soup left which I bought from Lidl's FIVE years ago - and still good!

Tinned stuff will often keep far beyond its sell-by date depending on the contents - if it's acidic (like pineapples etc) the acid will attack the tin coating and won't keep as long.

You can also store milk, cheese, butter etc in the freezer and thaw them when you want them - very useful if you find bargains.

How long something will keep in a fridge depends on how cold the fridge is.

Optimum temp is about 2C (NOT -2C).

At that temperature I have had eggs keep 3-4 months past their sell-by date with no problems at all - but I always crack into a cup first to check the smell.

I also have a few tins of soup left which I bought from Lidl's FIVE years ago - and still good!

Tinned stuff will often keep far beyond its sell-by date depending on the contents - if it's acidic (like pineapples etc) the acid will attack the tin coating and won't keep as long.

You can also store milk, cheese, butter etc in the freezer and thaw them when you want them - very useful if you find bargains.

I've had eggs keep similar times without any refrigeration.
Eggs don't really require a fridge :)

I have a can of Boddingtons in the fridge dated 09 and a five year old bottle of champagne!

It is only that the 'Use by' date that is the one you must never eat/drink after that date. As in the case of milk or similar,
To confuse matters I have a "back up milk" in the freezer, its often well past its use by, when that gets used :D

Eggs don't really require a fridge :)
I've never kept eggs in a fridge in fact its supposed to harm them, ( dry them out) but I assume that goes back to the "good old days"
when people grew their own, and refers to fertile eggs that should be stored at around 10oC, while waiting for enough for a batch to hatch

I regularly eat yoghurt over a week past its use by date
Well that's full of bacteria anyway, so it must get better with age :D

To confuse matters I have a "back up milk" in the freezer, its often well past its use by, when that gets used :D

Ah, you got to remember that the Use by date on milk is assuming you would buy it and put it in the fridge. If you were to freeze it in the freezer while still unopened, you could make it last a little longer, therefore there would be some health and safety guidelines suggesting how much more time you could use it after taking it out of freezer. Chances are I would say something like between a couple of days to a few days, maybe as much as up to say 4 or 5 days to use it from the time you took it out of fridge and defrosted it.

If you bought from a shop and its Use by date seems to be 7 days from the date you bought it, then you freeze it. It would seems likely that when you take it out of freezer and defrost it, you could say you got 5 or 6 days to use it. Well something like that.

Chances are I would say something like between a couple of days to a few days, maybe as much as up to say 4 or 5 days to use it from the time you took it out of fridge and defrosted it.
2 or 3 weeks later and its still fine (y)

Back