Out Of Range Issue

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
My mum's pc is down at the mo due to what I thought was a graphics card issue although I now think it's something to do with her monitor. I can start it up in safe mode no problem and have tried it with two desktops that work fine with my monitor. All the settings are default and when I try to install ATI catalyst center and drivers it tells me there is no VGA driver installed. This must be the monitor, right??

Nope, it will be the gfx card. No drivers required for a monitor, it just displays whatever the gfx card throws at it.

but the monitor works fine in safe mode and on other machine? if so i wouldnt say its a monitor issue..

what OS?
what graphics card?
what driver you installing?
what monitor, VGA/DVI?

does the monitor work fine on another pc?

does sound like someone has set the rez in normal mode too high for the monitor to display

if that is the case , boot into safe mode with VGA and then pull the settings down

does the monitor work fine on another pc?

does sound like someone has set the rez in normal mode too high for the monitor to display

if that is the case , boot into safe mode with VGA and then pull the settings down

:agree: Also right click desktop and go properties > Disply > advanced> monitor and check the box, hide refresh rates that the monitor cannot show.

When the 'puter is booting normally, I'm guessing you see the Windows XP/Vista on the black background screen and then it all goes black/blank?

If that's the case, the display is set out of range, either by resolution, or by timing (60hz, 70hz, 80hz etc) as was pointed out above.

In which case do as suggested above whilst booted into safe mode - press F8 during boot if memory serves...

-Rob

but the monitor works fine in safe mode and on other machine? if so i wouldnt say its a monitor issue..

what OS? XP Pro
what graphics card?Radeon something or other. Not there so can't be sure
what driver you installing?Really just trying to install the catalyst center
what monitor, VGA/DVI? Godknows from here. It's old though.

does the monitor work fine on another pc? No idea

if that is the case , boot into safe mode with VGA and then pull the settings down As I said, I tried that. I have no control over the settings with either machine. It's not even giving me any adaptor information.

:agree: Also right click desktop and go properties > Disply > advanced> monitor and check the box, hide refresh rates that the monitor cannot show. Tis checked.

if you dont know the model that may be why, the driver packages vary for different models.

I don't know it offhand, but it is the driver package that comes with the card. :) It's saying there's no VGA anyway so wouldn't even let me install it.

I haven't, Neil, no, but why would it work fine with my monitor yet be unable to load with my mums? Can I get online in safe mode or will I need to take it over there on a disc/usb?

First of all, you need to clarify does your mums monitor work on any other machine? If so your next option would be to check device manager and see if there are any conflicts, which will be indicated by a yellow exclamation mark. If you do have one or even two of them then right click and delete them. You will get the usual warning about deleting them but thats normal. Shut down and reboot again and see if windows installs a generic driver for the monitor. You could also try uninstalling all traces of your card drivers and try a fresh install of them again :shrug:

First of all, you need to clarify does your mums monitor work on any other machine? If so your next option would be to check device manager and see if there are any conflicts, which will be indicated by a yellow exclamation mark. If you do have one or even two of them then right click and delete them. You will get the usual warning about deleting them but thats normal. Shut down and reboot again and see if windows installs a generic driver for the monitor. You could also try uninstalling all traces of your card drivers and try a fresh install of them again :shrug:

No. as stated originally I tried this with two towers. :) :thinking:

Back