Outdoor figurative

Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a copy of Amateur Photographer it must have been about 1986 and in it was an article about Anne Brigman. One of the images was a nude self portrait from 1908 made in the Sierra Nevada, she called it, "The soul of the blasted pine". (the image is © Google will find it)

To say that it affected me is to put it mildly. I tried to emulate the style by paying models and failed, trying to arrive at the right weather; date, time and location all together at same moment is nigh on impossible.

When I retired leaving behind my concerns about work and bills and still being quite slim and fairly fit I realised that the 'selfie' would be my way into the figurative genre. Digital cameras and a wireless remote are a boon to the self portrait artist.

48078631053_ba85e32dbe_b.jpg

From my childhood I found peace in woodland and a lot of my figurative images are taken there. This one is at the edge of a forest and using the same serendipitous approach as Anne I was able to use the location immediately. I wear a homemade Leotard and should anyone like to make their own I have authored a PDF with instructions.

J

I did find Tim's images Simon, I was expecting to see some self images and was sadly disappointed. It would be nice to find someone else interested, perhaps that might be yourself.

It would be my pleasure to mentor you, it does take quite a lot of expertise especially with the posing. I also have a couple of PDF's showing how to make your own Leotards and G Strings or Thongs, you would very welcome to them both.

J

I did find Tim's images Simon, I was expecting to see some self images and was sadly disappointed. It would be nice to find someone else interested, perhaps that might be yourself.

It would be my pleasure to mentor you, it does take quite a lot of expertise especially with the posing. I also have a couple of PDF's showing how to make your own Leotards and G Strings or Thongs, you would very welcome to them both.

J

Thank you for your kind offer - but I only really do self portraits when I haven't got anyone else to test ideas on. Maybe one day I might have something to say which requires me to get in front of the camera for a project.

As for posing expertise - I recommend that you pose for some other (good) photographers - whether that be in a studio setting or elsewhere. It'll teach you a lot about the shapes and what works & what doesn't without the rather slow feedback loop of posing yourself & inspecting your own images.

Similarly, I think photographing & directing other people would improve your own posing skills no end.

I liked the juxtaposition of the ancient rocks, the newly installed windmills and the plain visible in the distance. The area was settled in neolithic times and they made rock plinths to build their homes on. I posed in one of them, feeling in contact with those people as I did. I deliberately posed with my arms in a reverse pose to the windmill blades

TP09.jpg

I often feel a 'oneness' when posing as though I'm in contact with something infinite and the places I find to pose have something special about them. I'm not in the least religious perhaps it's just one of those things when posing in certain places. It's also the greatest fun, I enjoy it so much :)

C

Last edited:
fitl_1000.jpg

Self portrait as figure in the landscape. An overgrown footpath in early summer, the light made it a perfect place to pose. This image forms part of one of my videos and can be seen here on my web site link below.

Back