Scotland Outer Hebrides

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a trip coming up with the following schedule:-

1.5 days on Lewis
1.5 days on Harris
6 days on Berneray/North Uist/Benbecula/South Uist/Eriskay - we are staying on Eriskay so a day trip to Barra is also a possibility

I've a pretty good idea of where we are going on Lewis and Harris, but would value some pointers on North and South Uist, I'm primarily a landscape shooter (not a wildlife photographer) and would like to locate old abandoned crofts/buildings especially those with sea views.

Is Barra worth a day trip? First ferry gets there 08.50 and last ferry leaves at 17.30

Last edited:
Have a look at the walks on this site - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ .All sorts of distances and terrain catered for.

On North Uist the beach north of Grenitote(there is a minor road that goes NW of Grenitote for about half a kilometre) is excellent.

Dave

Anyone on this group, living in the 'Outer Hebrides'?

I'm currently looking at buying a small property on 'Lewis', to use myself and also rent out to other photographers/artists/hikers etc.

Would be interested in speaking with anyone with experience of the area.

Cheers
Glynn

The Castlebay bar on Barra is a must visit, if the Vatersay Boys are in residence !! Heavy drinking is a requisite.

My MiL lives on Lewis at Point, great photo location. Unfortunately my wife and her fell out massively years ago so I'm not allowed to go there (grrrr)

If you’re staying at Eriskay, pop into Barcaldine Castle next door and see if you can have a look around. We lived there for 3 years. It’s a private b&b now.

Anyone on this group, living in the 'Outer Hebrides'?

I'm currently looking at buying a small property on 'Lewis', to use myself and also rent out to other photographers/artists/hikers etc.

Would be interested in speaking with anyone with experience of the area.

Cheers
Glynn
Yes Ive lived on Lewis my whole life.

One thing that I remember about Lewis. The amount of scrap vehicles dumped in people's back yards. Even a few rusty old buses.

Cracking place to get some photos though.

Back