Outlook <-> Gcal sync

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
(Looks like I might have lots of newbie Win10 queries for the next week or so....)

I've used GCal for years - it works perfectly with phones, tablets and Mac Calendar - I can update on any one of them and it syncs to all without me worrying.

Now I have a PC. I've set Outlook up to sync with my Gcal by using the .ics file as instructed by Microsoft. Stuff entered on my GCal or phone etc appear in Outlook. Perfect.

However, when I add something to a GCal calendar in Outlook it sits there for a while and then vanishes (presumably at next sync). Is there something I need to set up to allow 2 way syncing? Or do Outlook and GCal not really get along?

I seem to recall a very useful program called google sync which synced Gcal and outlook, Google pulled this some time ago , I could not find anything else so I just binned outlook which was a shame.

Johnathon, to have Outlook and Google Calendar sync seamlessly and reliably, you'll need to use third party software - look at Outlook Google Calendar Sync
https://phw198.github.io/OutlookGoogleCalendarSync/guide/index.html

Thanks - I feared this might be the case. Thanks for pointing me at a free one :)

It's really weird though - the (free) Win10 calendar seeks to work both ways with no fuss the (paid for) Outlook does not. I might just stick with calendar and GMail online and forget Outlook.

To be honest, I tried all sorts of ways to make it work, but in the end gave up an reverted to using Google calendar. Windows 10 Calendar works because it's online, the same as your Google calendar.

If you find a way to do this reliably without third party sw, please tell me!

I recall seeing an article explaining how to use a smartphone as a middle-man to centralise synchronisation of two different calendars (Outlook and Google). Will try to dig it up.

Last edited:
I appreciate you were looking for a free solution, but for you or anyone end up looking for a reliable (but paid for method) I've been using Sync2 (https://www.sync2.com) for years. A simple set up and forget system which syncs Calendar and Contacts between Outlook and Gcal as well as others.

Back