Owl Experience day with my son - first time bird photographer.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

Took my son along to the Owl Experience in Risley, Derbyshire this morning to use a voucher we bought him as part of his Christmas present. Its a great set up and we had a good couple of hours in the centre.

I normally spend time at the side of various motor racing circuits across the country so photographing birds is something new for me.

Please have a look at the below and any comments and criticism will be welcomed as I fancy going back for one of their photography days.

Owl121014j_zps6f7278a0.jpg

Owl121014f_zps1c1848e4.jpg

Owl121014l_zpscdf45e8b.jpg

Owl121014i_zpsb55519bb.jpg

Owl121014m_zps739e0d45.jpg

Owl121014d_zpsfc57dd42.jpg

There are some more in my Photobucket album here if anyone fancies a look. Let me know if there are any good ones that I have not posted here: -

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/hammondsofknutsford/library/Owl Experience?sort=3&page=1

Regards

Tim

The only thing I could as is to give some thought to what's around you.
Nearly all the shots have some sort of clutter in the background which I'm sure you'll agree offer nothing to the photograph.
I appreciate it is difficult at these events but unless you put some effort in you will end up with the same cluttered shots you already have.
I'm really not having a go because for me any bird shot is a good shoot especially owls, they are amazing birds.

I am no expert mind you & I'm sure other people will be able to offer some advice.

To give you an idea what I mean here's a photograph I took a couple of weeks ago at Sion hill hall.
I don't really do captive birds but I must admit I loved seeing the likes of spectacled owl & this African spotted owl.
The light was horrendous here too but that's pretty much the norm when I venture out with my camera.

To view this photograph in a bit more detail just follow the link to flickr as it looks much cleaner.

african spotted owl by Paul_ McMullen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi there,

Many thanks for your comment thats really helpful especially when accompanied by such a superb image.

The EXIF data on Flickr has really helped as well. I was shooting at 1/800 yesterday whereas your image was 1/1600, need to try that next time as I think it will stop the wing blur.

Going to get over to the centre again soon for another session, then can move out to shoot some in the wild.

Regards

Tim

Back