Owls in Flight

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Took these at Liberty's Owl, Raptor & Reptile Centre in the New Forest with my D60 & 55-200 lens.

I wasn't very good at the in-flight shots - very difficult! Would like to have another go so any tips on settings / C&C are more than welcome:

DSC_0031 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

DSC_0027 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

DSC_0018 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Thanks for looking (y)

maybe a bit over processed but i dont see much wrong with them (y)

3 looks the best as it has good composition and direction
the green grass of home could be down graded to accentuate the marvellous colours of the animal

It can be very tricky to getting flying birds like these in frame and sharp. You've done well

Fi you have done well, but thy seem a little soft to me, ok not easy subject I know. That first one is a cracker (y)
Can I ask what shutter speed etc you were using ?
For flying birds I try to keep in 1/1000th or as near as possible with continuous focusing.

3 cracking shots. Not easy to get the whole of the wing span in frame. I also use about 1/1000th speed

Thanks for the comments all - I completely agree about the softness and I had many shots that were a lot worse.

Shutter speed was around 1/1600 for all of them with ISO 400 and continuous focusing / aperture of f/4.2. I think the issue was with the focusing rather than the shutter speed. I generally struggle with continuous AF on my D60. I don't know if it is the lack of focus point or just bad technique but I very rarely get it right.

Think you might find it's the lens rather then the camera Fi , if it's the kit lens ?

Think you might find it's the lens rather then the camera Fi , if it's the kit lens ?

Nikon AF-s 55-200 VR - not the greatest but it's the best I have at the moment.

Back