own websites

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, what is the average cost to start your own website, and is it a one off fee or do you have to pay monthly or yearly. :thinking:

It all depends on what you're going to do with it really.

A basic hosting package can cost as little as £2 per month.
Expect to pay about £2 per year for a .co.uk domain or £5 a month for a .com

The more features you want (bandwidth, storage), the higher the price goes :)

I use http://www.1and1.co.uk for all of my hosting at the moment.

I pay around £22 a month but I'm hosting multiple domains on a developer account.

I think I paid about £30 for a year of hosting and domain name registration of two years.

There's so many different packages and hosting companies it can get rather confusing!

Anyone got any suggestions for a website that sells Flash portfolio layouts? This seems the easiest way to have a 'pro' site without having to learn software and build it yourself.

I pay £25 a year for my hosting, and £5 every 2 years for my .co.uk domain. Really could do with changing my hosting though as I don't have MySQL support.

Anyone got any suggestions for a website that sells Flash portfolio layouts? This seems the easiest way to have a 'pro' site without having to learn software and build it yourself.
Try taking a look at Zenfolio, it's a great hosted service and for around $35 per year you can upload unlimited photos, have password protected areas, route your own domain through to it, superb service. My site is hosted on Zenfolio - www.reflectingme.com

They have recently introduced another higher level of service plan where you can add watermarks, sell and take payments for prints online with your own defined product lists and prices - all I am waiting for before I upgrade is for this to be permitted in GBP and not their default USD and I will be upgrading.

There are others that allow you to sell in GBP, but they have severe limitations on the number of photos you can upload, or - they cost a LOT more.

I think I paid about £30 for a year of hosting and domain name registration of two years.

There's so many different packages and hosting companies it can get rather confusing!

Same here :)

simpleviewer may be useful - it's free too!

www.jtanner.co.uk is built with simpleviewer. :)

Thanks everyone ill certanly be looking into this thanks for your help and knowledge, (y)

I pay around £45 per year for 17gb hosting, and get .co.uk for £3 .com or .org for £9 per year.

I pay about $12.50 dollars a month. at bravenet.com (great site has everything you need)

HI Guys

I have my own freelance webdesign/ hosting business http://www.level200.co.uk/hosting.htm. I can offer a 50mb hosting package + email + Mysql + FREE .co.uk DOMAIN + many more for £50 per year.

Please email me on john at level200 dot com for more information.

Cheers
John

Em, I am paying more than everyone (Low cost names). Maybe time to find a new host....Ian

If you want a "minimum effort / lowish cost" website then have a look at Clikpic - I use them for my site & find them excellent.

The site is limited regarding customisation but Clikpic provide several templates/options to give your site a more individual look

simon

our old website was with clicpic. ok but a litlle cheapish looking maybe.
her indoors being a clever git, built the new one in dreamweaver and uploaded it to www.streamline.net .
just over £100 unlimited space /bandwidth , for two years.
streamline have templates , packages and add ons to apparently.
domain names are included, but we used one we already had.
£10 for 2 years. ours is a .biz.
www.rainbowphotography.biz for comparison to other sites.

for my business website i pay £70 a year hosting with namesco, £3 a year for the .co.uk and £8 for the .com

for my personal website - i use free hosting jamroll.net (i have to have the hosts google adverts on each page) and have a .co.uk £6 for 2 years

$30US per month, but that's for six websites. ;)

(two photography sites for me, the workshop site, my husband's photography site, a personal site, and my band's site. Whew.)

- CJ

I use Lycos to hold and point my domain names, seems very reliable safe and secure and plenty of notices to re-purchase, good accounts etc. ...I have about 10 Domains most between £2-£10 per year or two year period.

I have five hosting packages, three providers, for five my websites, (Just the way it turned out) all cheep, between $30-£60 each per year depending on how many resources I'm using ...

Some of software like VBulletin, (Like this forum) needs licenses upgrading every now and then. £30 per year...ish ..after an initial buy in cost

I've found some providers charge to help me set up databases/software etc ...and some do it free. :shrug:

Back