'Owners Threads'

Edit My Images
Yes
I couldn't find anywhere else to post this so here goes.....

'Owners Threads' should be banned, IMVHO you understand, IMVHO.

They are a waste of space, they start OK but in time they just go on and on, on and on.

Very often nothing relevant to the original thread is posted, it's just a general photographic ramble...."I've got £300 to spend, should I buy a 50mm G or D etc."

Take the Fuji X-T1 Owners thread, 191 pages, just try finding a specific issue amongst that lot......and that applies to them all

IMVHO

Last edited:
Whilst they might be a little dull at times, they can be really useful, particularly if you use the site's search function.

IMVHO They have a limited use, which is more than a lot of the stuff on here, much of which is completely useless. But if the people partaking are enjoying it, why worry.

I get bored with them as inevitably the same old stuff will come up, however that is to be expected as different people get the equipment/object at different times and unsurprisingly will come up with the same question. I think they are helpful and add value, but like with everything in live not all the time. Easy enough to dip in and out.

And for the big threads there is the search in thread function ;)

Since I moved over to- a Fuji X-T1, I've found that thread extremely useful (as I'm sure many others have). If you have a specific question about your camera or are thinking about purchasing one, is it not better to be able to post in a thread subscribed by people who already own that model rather than just starting another thread in the hope that the right people see it?

They are a waste of space

As per my point above, would it be better for people to start new threads asking questions about the same camera? Surely that would waste even more space.

Take the Fuji X-T1 Owners thread, 191 pages, just try finding a specific issue amongst that lot

No need to try to find a specific issue, just ask in the thread. No-one expects you to read through a thread that big so won't mind if you ask a question that's already been asked.

If we didn't have owners threads we'd have 40 threads about the X-T1 and another 40 about the X-T10 and the same or maybe slightly fewer for each Sony A7 model. At least the owners threads vacuum all these up into one place and keep the forum nice and tidy.

I'm intrigued as to what you think the better alternative is, given that by removing them you are opening up the forum to potentially hundreds of threads that quickly drop onto the second page and into obscurity.

Take 'what lens?' threads, for example, fortunately most of these queries get hoovered up by owners threads, but many don't even go as far as making any attempt to describe what they will be photographing...which is about as useful as somebody asking which house to buy without mentioning how big their family is and which county they want to live in.

As fabs has mentioned, I've never seen anyone take issue with answering a question that has come up before in an owners thread. Most have a fairly nice balance of photos and chat/questions although personally I feel photos are more useful when they have a reason for being there (i.e. when discussing a specific lens, or autofocus/low light performance etc), not just as a general 'photo sharing because I took it with this camera' type thing.

Back