South-East England Oxford - City Centre

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Planning to take a day trip up the road to Oxford later in the week.
Plan would be to park up at the Redbridge P&R and bus into the centre for some 'street' and other options of interest.
I will be walking and the old ticker restricts walking distance now so would like to be able to stay around the centre and get some 'real' Oxford ... bikes, lanes, University areas that are accessible, etc.
Anyone offer some pointers please? :)

I do not know Oxford at all but Gareth Danks did a Youtube video of a Street Photography meet up he did there which might give you some info.

Last edited:
Access to colleges usually requires payment, and not all will be open to the public. Tour guides can often be good, and are often found in Broad Street, where that second map tour starts. If memory serves me correctly, Redbridge is to the south of the city, with the busses coming along Abingdon road - stay on the bus until you get to Cornmarket from where Broad Street is a short walk. Botley road has a long-term closure, and traffic is even worse than usual in the city right now.

Make sure you go into the older Blackwells bookstore to see the underground room. St. Mary's church by the Radcliffe Camera has a tower that you can ascend which will give you views over the city.

St. Mary's church by the Radcliffe Camera has a tower that you can ascend which will give you views over the city.
St. Mary's Church has given the popular cafe in the cellar that also spreads towards Radcliffe Square 3 months notice as the they intend to redevelop. If you climb the steps to the top of the tower it's not wise to carry a big camera backpack, especially if it's crowded up top. The Cowley Road can be interesting too, especially around the LTN barriers in the side streets and for a few large murals, though that would add to your walking distance. The Covered Market can be interesting, but you would be shooting at higher ISO's. The biggest collection of parked bicycles is outside the Railway Station. The Turf Tavern can at times be very busy. Nearby you can photograph the tourists photographing the Bridge of Sighs (Hertford Bridge). Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
Access to colleges usually requires payment, and not all will be open to the public. Tour guides can often be good, and are often found in Broad Street, where that second map tour starts. If memory serves me correctly, Redbridge is to the south of the city, with the busses coming along Abingdon road - stay on the bus until you get to Cornmarket from where Broad Street is a short walk. Botley road has a long-term closure, and traffic is even worse than usual in the city right now.

Make sure you go into the older Blackwells bookstore to see the underground room. St. Mary's church by the Radcliffe Camera has a tower that you can ascend which will give you views over the city.
St. Mary's Church has given the popular cafe in the cellar that also spreads towards Radcliffe Square 3 months notice as the they intend to redevelop. If you climb the steps to the top of the tower it's not wise to carry a big camera backpack, especially if it's crowded up top. The Cowley Road can be interesting too, especially around the LTN barriers in the side streets and for a few large murals, though that would add to your walking distance. The Covered Market can be interesting, but you would be shooting at higher ISO's. The biggest collection of parked bicycles is outside the Railway Station. The Turf Tavern can at times be very busy. Nearby you can photograph the tourists photographing the Bridge of Sighs (Hertford Bridge). Enjoy your day.
Thank you Toni and Steve, all helpful information (y)

Back