Undecided Oxford

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Never been to Oxforf before but I'm off for a weekend soon - guessing there will be plenty to photograph but can anyone tell me of the things I shouldn't miss ?

The view from carfax tower is probably worth a trip up for, the Radcliff camera is a nice looking building and the Bodleian, if the weathers nice Christ church meadows.

The ashmolean museum and pit rivers are also well worth a look.

Oh and most importantly the Turf Tavern for a well deserved pint.

Last edited:
thanks mate :)

Will look into those - particularly the turf tavern !

Any other unmissable pubs ?

Probably the bear inn which is either the oldest or one of the oldest and the head of the river if its a nice day as you can go punting also.

The city is pretty small, so you can easily walk round it in a day and then have time for museums, pubs etc.

One place also worth a look which might be good for photos is the covered market (about 2 mins from carfax tower). The old prison, castle is now a hotel and has lots of restaurants around it which can be quite nice also.

Enjoy your weekend,

Thanks Alex thats great - will certainly follow your recommendations :)

Depends a bit what you're after.

The area where Radcliffe Camera is also has the Bridge of Sighs next to it and you can climb the spire there for the 'classic' shot of the Camera. Carfax is ok but mostly you can only see the aircon units on the roofs of the shops although you do have a bit of a view of some of the spires. The Sheldonian is in that area too.

If you want a good overall city view go to South Park or, just out of town (south west) is Boars Hill here for a nice city spires view, assuming there aren't the usual cranes everywhere!

There's an open top bus you can jump on to see a lot of the colleges. If you're at the Radcliffe Camera you're also not far from deer park at Magdalen College (can't remember if the deer are in it at the moment), Magdalen bridge and the botanical gardens. If you get a ticket for the gardens you can also use it in the arboretum at Nuneham Courtenay.

Parking is a nightmare! Avoid the two ringroad roundabouts at the top of Woodstock and Banbury Roads as they're being dug up at the moment. Queue-tastic!

Thanks for replying Kev - much appreciated.

Its just a cheapie weekend so was thinking of staying at a Travelodge which is near the park and ride - so will dump the car...

Which will enable visits to said pubs :)

Just reinforcing what others have said.
At the Bridge of Sighs it's easy to miss the tiny St. Helens Passage leading to the Turf Tavern.

At Magdalen bridge look for the empty punts that everyone photographs. Including Lord Litchfield. If they are still there.

On the way to or from Magdalen Bridge, walk via the cobbled Merton St. Taking in the tiny alleys Magpie lane, Oriel St. And Grove walk leading to Christchurch meadow and Cathedral.

The Covered Market is totally photogenic. Not to be missed.

Along the river, from north to south there is the Trout Inn, Godstow Rd. The Perch Inn at Binsey. The Head of the River pub at Folly Bridge which is a few mins walk from the centre. The King's Arms at Sandford lock.

Last edited:
thanks Ian :)

Thanks for advice and I will try and make sure I don't miss entrance to the tavern !

thanks Ian :)

Thanks for advice and I will try and make sure I don't miss entrance to the tavern !

IMG_0294.jpg by Mark Huff1, on Flickr

The entrance is where the guy in the white T shirt is.

I stayed in Oxford for a couple of days and its a great place for photography, there is a few shots on my flickr page. Did a walking tour from the Tourist information centre and that helped get my head round where places are in the centre of Oxford. I too stayed in the travel lodge near the A40 junction and used the park and ride into the city.

Last edited:
Thanks Huffy - nice shot :)

That sounds like the travelodge we have booked - was the walking tour suggested by the Tourist info

IMG_0294.jpg by Mark Huff1, on Flickr

The entrance is where the guy in the white T shirt is.

I stayed in Oxford for a couple of days and its a great place for photography, there is a few shots on my flickr page. Did a walking tour from the Tourist information centre and that helped get my head round where places are in the centre of Oxford. I too stayed in the travel lodge near the A40 junction and used the park and ride into the city.

Omg, it so amazing place and very nice photo)) :rolleyes:

Back