Oxford

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I am planning a trip to Oxford at the beginning of July and am looking for good locations for sun traps/ shadows that I can find either in the more historical areas or the more modern buildings in the city. I don’t want to aimlessly wander around the city in the early morning light, that’s assuming the sun shines when I am in the city!

I like Mark Fearnley style of street photography and I am not the most confident of street shooters when it comes to photographing people. I want to make the most of the two days I have there and any tips and streets that are good will help me plan a little.

Only just stumbled across this thread. I’d have given you some pointers had I seen it earlier. As I’m local(ish) to the Oxford city centre.

How did you get on with your trip?

Only just stumbled across this thread. I’d have given you some pointers had I seen it earlier. As I’m local(ish) to the Oxford city centre.

Pointers for Oxford might still help others ... I hope to visit in the future. :)

It was a decent trip and I did come away with a couple of pictures that I liked. Obviously it is a beautiful historic city with plenty things to photograph but I only found one good sun trap with good shadows and light in Brasenose Street but didn't manage to get anything good there.
Street photography is hard at the best of times but I had a great visit and there is always more to see and do. Hopefully I'll return one day

Pointers for Oxford might still help others ... I hope to visit in the future. :)

Depends what sort of stuff you’re looking to shoot.

You’ve got all the main attractions like the Radcliffe Camera; St Mary’s church and the “bridge of sighs” as they like to refer to it in Oxford

Majority of the colleges are open throughout the year over the weekends around 2 till 4.

All are free to enter. Apart from the 3 main tourists attraction. Being New college and Christchurch for their heavy presence in the Harry Potter movies.
Magdalen college is also the other one which charges a fee.

Several free to enter museums throughout the city centre too. As well as a few university parks to wander around if you feel like it.
All close to the main centre.

It was a decent trip and I did come away with a couple of pictures that I liked. Obviously it is a beautiful historic city with plenty things to photograph but I only found one good sun trap with good shadows and light in Brasenose Street but didn't manage to get anything good there.
Street photography is hard at the best of times but I had a great visit and there is always more to see and do. Hopefully I'll return one day

Yeah there’s a few quirky little side streets tucked away close to the city centre.

Ones like New college lane onto Querns lane are ones which sound like they’d be your cuppa too.

Maybe it’s due to me being relatively local. But I’ve always found the candid street photography round Oxford pretty boring.
Being a (mainly) tourist crowd during the weekends. It’s just loads of people with phones in their hands or faces :)

Yeah there’s a few quirky little side streets tucked away close to the city centre.

Ones like New college lane onto Querns lane are ones which sound like they’d be your cuppa too.

Maybe it’s due to me being relatively local. But I’ve always found the candid street photography round Oxford pretty boring.
Being a (mainly) tourist crowd during the weekends. It’s just loads of people with phones in their hands or faces :)
I certainly understand the city being touristy because it is a beautiful place. I went out both days very early in the morning to avoid the large crowds and the mobile phone is a curse for street shooters. I found the Radcliffe Camera difficult to photography because I only had an EF 24-105mm f4 lens and just a little tight but you have to work with what you have.
Here's a few that I'm happy with

Attachments

• 0E5A5785.jpg
    0E5A5785.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 0E5A6010.jpg
    0E5A6010.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 0E5A6070.jpg
    0E5A6070.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 18
I certainly understand the city being touristy because it is a beautiful place. I went out both days very early in the morning to avoid the large crowds and the mobile phone is a curse for street shooters. I found the Radcliffe Camera difficult to photography because I only had an EF 24-105mm f4 lens and just a little tight but you have to work with what you have.
Here's a few that I'm happy with

Yeah it’s a pretty tight and enclosed city round the main centre. Rather restrictive unless you’ve got a relatively wide FL with you.

One of the best POV of the RadCam is right up with the gargoyles from St. Mary’s church tower overlooking it :D

Although that’s getting a little too ‘overdone’ nowadays too. What with all these latest phones with their “ultra wide” lenses built in…

There’s a fair few ‘brutalist’ architecture buildings that the colleges use nowadays too.
Still close to the main centre. But a little off the beaten path to know about from just a quick visit.

They’re worth a look too for anyone interested though.

Massively late but only just found the link for this photo walk route that I used for a night shoot

Last edited:
Back