Beginner P&S for travel and underwater shooting

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've followed the forum for a while picking up lots of advice, but I'm not a keen poster...

I currently own an Olympus Stylus1 which is a great camera and is more than enough for the types of photography I enjoy (mainly travel, urban landscapes, street photography - more snaps than anything too serious).

I've recently got into scuba diving and I'm looking for a decent point and shoot camera to take underwater. I can't find a purpose made waterproof housing for the stylus1 and don't trust the pvc bag type case so I think I'll probably need a new camera. If there's a camera with a similar zoom range and image quality, for the stuff I shoot on dry land, with a purpose made underwater housing available, that would be ideal!

Any recommendations from you knowledgeable lot??

Last edited:
Not sure there are (m)any compacts that are waterproof to SCUBA type depths - most bottom out at 10-15m or so. If you're a recent convert to SCUBA, I would concentrate on the diving aspect before getting into the photography as an added distraction, it's apparently all too easy to get distracted by (for example) chasing a fish and forgetting how deep you're getting or how much air you have left.

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/ are apparently the people to talk to about housings etc..

Thanks for the link. After a trawl of a few other forums, it looks like I'll be selling the Olympus to fund either a Canon G7x or Sony RX100ii/iii with suitable underwater housing.

I'll get saving...

The sensible advice is to ignore the camera until you get your buoyancy sorted but assuming you'll ignore that you want as low an aperture as you can get and as wide angle as you can get with as powerful a flash as you can get.

However, I wouldn't worry about getting the latest greatest camera, the differences underwater diminish somewhat. I would say though that in my experience Canon compacts do seem to work well underwater, they cope with the blue very well.

Last edited:
Hi. Absolutely agree with getting proficient in your buoyancy control first and foremost. You don't wanna be crashing into and wrecking the corals and other marine life that you are visiting. It is a right balancing act of concentration taking pics underwater.
I've been using a Canon G12 with an Ikelite housing with full manual control.View attachment 38218
Its a great camera and housing. Haven't bothered with a strobe as of yet. Haven't found it necessary. You can see some of my pics in this thread.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...he-philippines-last-year.589558/#post-6879329
I'm off to Egypt later this week for a diving trip. After which I'm going to sell it and upgrade for my next trip and get a housing for my dslr I think. If you're interested let me know.

Back