Packing photographs for posting - Inkjet printed.

Edit My Images
No
Can any member suggest what the best way to pack inkjet prints for posting in the UK may be?

I have a dozen or so injet printed pictures to send by Royal Mail within the UK. I know I need to pack to prevent bending but this is a new venture to me as I have previously made true photographic prints by wet processing.

Modern Ink jet print papers, significantly Epson Premium, are resin coated and this coating seems to be moisture sensitive. Additionally the inks, dye or pigment type, are not totally water and moisture fast.

My principal concern is how to pack the prints so that the images are not damaged due to atmospheric moisture absoption while in transit nor alow the prints stick together. The current damp conditions in the UK might be problematical. I cannot find a source of envelopes made from material with a low MVTR and do not have a stock of photo paper or film envelopes which I cn use.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Monoman

Some papers come in plastic envelopes as inner packaging as well as having tissue in the pack. I use the plastic envelopes inside board backed envelopes with tissue between the prints. Pretty sure suitable plastic envelopes can be found fairly easily with a bit of Googling.

Thank you Nod. I have, of course, missed the obvious source -The Post Office who sell a variety of sizes and types. So that 's part one, now all I have to do is find a suitable interleaving tissue as part two.

As they say let Google be your friend! My first look there only yielded supplies in 1000's but your response made me look further.

I'm fairly sure that pigment inks are more than water proof enough to travel through the postal system....I can't comment on Epson Premium paper as I've never used that specific brand or type but certainly on Permajet Oyster which I use a lot or Canson Baryta Photographique I've never had issues with moisture getting at the print and either making the ink run or causing warping in the paper.

I have had a number of inkjet prints posted to me over the years, usually from Glasgow (not noted for its sunny climate) and I've never had an issue with moisture absorption.

I have thought more about my original question in the light of Nod's and Kevjones' replies and realise that I might have been looking for difficulties where none exist. I should perhaps explain that as a coatings chemist I have spent fifty years looking for potential problems so I am glad you could both set my mind at rest.

Thank you.

Monoman

FWIW i sent mounted prints to Australia i wrapped them in acid free paper and cellophane bagged. It took them if i recall 18 days to arrive and the recipient was delighted. The various carriers and environmental changes the parcel went trough likely were quite marked ;)

They were pro printed on Epson with from memory ultrachrome inks on hahnemule paper. The printer sent them to me individualy separated with acid free paper they were then stacked and firmly wrapped, then packed tightly between stiff boards that got to me 100% ok

Tissue to interleave the prints has been mentioned... The 'correct' material to use is glassine paper, a quick Google should find a detailed description of its benefits and plenty of suppliers. I bought a load a while ago and it wasn't expensive.

My problem (just starting a small business) seems to be posting frame masked prints. A4 board backed envelopes for standard prints I can find, but 360 x 280mm envelopes, I cannot :(

Back