Padded insert for regular backpack

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a camera bag (Lowepro 400AW flipside) which is okay for short hikes if I know where I'm going, but not comfy enough for daylong hikes where I'd like to take the camera. I have a very comfy Osprey 'daypack' and would like a zipped padded insert so that I can carry my 6D with 16-35 and maybe another lens along with other stuff I would take, food, waterproof etc.

Any recommendations? There is so much on Amazon I'm not sure what is good and what isn't. Don't want to spend too much ideally.

I have a Tenba BYOB, which is nice and does the job. Bit more expensive than an Amazon special but I’m happy I spent the extra.

No specific make, but their padding isn't always very thick. Also, closed-cell foam seems better in my book because it shouldn't retain any dampness like open-cell foam might.

Maybe most important is getting the size right not just for your content but in relation to how easily the insert slides in & out of the pack, assuming that the pack itself is a top-opener.

An insert could have one of its larger faces opening, like an F-stop ICU, or one of its narrower faces zipped, like Ned's BYOB. But you'll likely be sliding them in & out of the pack end-on.

Last edited:
Thanks both, that Tenba looks decent. What size have you got and what kit do you put in yours?

Think I have the BYOB 10, which holds my m43 gear:

40-150 pro unattached (this is tight for depth but it does zip shut)
12-40 pro attached to a body
Another small lens in the space under the grip (typically a fast prime or the 9-18, or possibly both)
T/C / Batteries / cards / memory card reader / etc in the webbing/pockets on the outside

It which point it it full but that is really all one might ever need and will easily fit in my manbag.

The FStop Gear ICUs are similar.

When I am mountain biking I just use a small Lowe Pro bag inside my regular rucksack, it is slightly bulkier than just using an insert, but it fits my kit way better than any of the inserts available.

Back