Paddys Hole, South Gare. HDR

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
No
This is my 1st attempt at HDR with canon DPP, Though i would share it.

7151409413_638796dddf_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Ok heres a more bold edit of the pic, i've upped the brightness and saturation. But pics like this look a bit unreal to me but maybe thats what HDR is about? Btw these where 3 shots done at 2 stops under/over exposure.
7156585318_a5bd179e7f_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

First image ALL the way.
Second is way too overdone for my personal taste.

Can I make a suggestion Gordon?

Try visiting Paddys Hole at different times of the day (preferably when the tide is in). I normally go there either around sunrise, or just before sunset as you tend to get some cracking light & reflections then ;)

Paddys Hole is a photographers dream location. Every time I go there I find a different angle to shoot from, as you can see HERE

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread, just help out :)

you have used over and under exposure to much +2 & -2 you would only use in high contrast and deep shadows over 9 or 7 shots
it will come with pratice
what software you using for the HDR ?

this is an example of 7 shot HDR +1.5 to -1.5 taken early in the morning when then the sun was low with deep shadow areas

calender_bridge.jpg

Last edited:
I used canon Digital Photo Professional, which is ok but has limited functions, I might have another go with photomatix pro 4 next time.

Do you mean 7 exposures at 1/2 a stop each?

Stunning picture Jim btw almost like an oil painting.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that image of yours is quite ghastly, can't see the first as it's unavailable, it does look unreal, landscapes should be nearer to reality, without exception, all notable landscape photographers don't go near HDR, like the images above, HDR bleaches a lot of the shadows out of the image, leaving an image without mood or emotion.

And like pixvault, Paddy's Hole is a photographers paradise, and the best times are sunrise, sunset. I've had images published from this location at those times.

I'd concentrate on composition and balance rather than the pointless bells & whistles of HDR.

I know it awfull i over done it to get some feedback on how HDR should be done, After the 1st picture i posted looked like there was much of a clue of it being HDR. But i'm just playing around with different things like most photographers do, its the only way to learn.
7166008282_539fb94438_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Sorry, but that image of yours is quite ghastly, can't see the first as it's unavailable, it does look unreal, landscapes should be nearer to reality, without exception, all notable landscape photographers don't go near HDR, like the images above, HDR bleaches a lot of the shadows out of the image, leaving an image without mood or emotion.

And like pixvault, Paddy's Hole is a photographers paradise, and the best times are sunrise, sunset. I've had images published from this location at those times.

I'd concentrate on composition and balance rather than the pointless bells & whistles of HDR.

I take Les your pastime is to ridicule other peoples work:nono::nono:
People put images for helpful critique not to see words like
Ghastly
Unreal
You need to look at your own linked portfolio in regards unreal looking especially your Glencoe set
Did I notice some UNREAL colours in the landscape do they look Natural
Maybe it’s just me being over critical
Agree with you on the point of composition
Old Saying it’s Nice to be Nice

Totally agree Jim. We all need to constantly evolve and learn, but there's no need to be mean in commenting.
Jim, your image is much closer to a well treated HDR, but even it is still a smidge too much, as there is very slight halo-ing above the tree line.
Love that bridge though. I really must look for more interesting bridges! :)

Gordon ignore the people that saying things like Ghastly they lost there ways and become elitist.
Everyone have to start somewhere and only way to learn is trial and error,
I find best HDR shots come from stacking 3 or more pics from dif exposure bracketing like -2 0 +2 exposure also find that if after i done my image ill leave it for a hour and carry on with somthing else then come back and look at the image and you often see it in a dif way and can make changes if need be

Last edited:
Back