Paint Shop Pro 9

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Is anyone using this? I've downloaded the 60 Day free evaluation version and I'm currently trying it out. There aren't too many improvements I can get excited enough about to part with the money to upgrade, but I've just discovered the digital image noise filter which is extremely impressive and might just tempt me to upgrade.

One thing which is bugging me though is that the point to point selection (mask) tool is missing and I use that a lot. It might just be missing in the evaluation version. Anyone know? :shock:

It's missing full stop as far as I can see. The noise reduction tool is very good. I've got photoshop and PSP here and PSP for some things beats PS hands down. Previews of adjustments however aren't so good and rendering is so, so slow :(

PC World were doing PSP 9 for a special offer of £50 not too long ago, worth checking if it's still on.

Cheers dodders. That's a bummer then about the point to point tool. It just beats me why they'd leave out the best mask drawing tool!! :shock:

Yeh I use PSP9 for my photographics needs!!

The Point to point selection tool is available. Just chose the "Freehand Selection" tool on the "tools" bar, then select "Point to Point" in the dropdown list on the "Tool Options" toolbar :)

Well thank you Gregeff :) I'd looked for ages for that, couldn't find it in the Help section at all. Never even thought to look there :eek:ops:

The CA filter in PSP9 is also pretty good once you figure out how to use it. :) The only drawback is that this and the noise filter are rather slow, as has been mentioned.

I've used PSP since it was little more than a file conversion program, and as yet I've not found anything I need that it can't do. I'll be interested to see how Corel develop it.

silkstone said:
I've used PSP since it was little more than a file conversion program, and as yet I've not found anything I need that it can't do. I'll be interested to see how Corel develop it.

Me too- I've used it since the very early days and it's great value for money. Let's hope Corel don't spoil it, although I have to say I have Corel 7 and 8 which is an excellent package so they should develop it in the right direction hopefully. One thing I'd dearly love to see in PSP is a 'Path To Mask' Tool which Corel has. It works by drawing around complicated shapes by clicking the mouse button and leaving a little node for each click, with the final path being a solid line linked by the nodes. You then apply your mask to the shape of this pre-prepared path with one click and it's highly accurate.

Yes, I can see that would be useful, but I haven't really missed it because I've never had it. :D

They could do to improve the RAW conversion, although to be fair PSP9 was the first version to incorporate that, so perhaps they're still learning.

One feature that would be handy is a graduated saturation or contrast filter that could be applied to a layer. It would allow easier correction of haze etc.

All in all though, it's not half bad, and recent additions such as the History pane are very helpful. I also like the fill-in flash and backlight filters which can save a lot of time adjusting levels and saturation in high-contrast shots.

Don't get your hopes up about Corel, they have a reputation for buying competing software and shelving it after robbing the good bits. They did it with Xara and they did it with Picture Publisher.

I am using Corel Photopaint since version 4 .. it's now 12 .. and adobe photoshop too ? since 6 or 7 years

do you use both daily ? yes ? no ? .. I do

Corel photopaint is better than Adobe on many points .. and 100 times more praticle
i cannot say for PSP 9 .. i had just a short try

I spend far too much time most days sitting in front of the computer renovating old photos, in fact I'm starting to seriously cut back on this stuff. I always use PSP, sometimes Photoshop. I have Corel 8 which isn't installed on my machine at the mo, but I agree Corel is a good package particularly for freehand mask drawing, and clone tools with all he textures/brushes available.

Back