Pair of Chaffs

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
These two wouldn't play ball and stayed in the tree's hence the cluttered background. Any comments welcome as I am not sure about these shots.

Male

Female

I would be very happy with those, I'm just starting bird photography and don't have anything that good yet

I like these Gary but I would crop the vertical branch on the second shot. Yes the crop then is a bit close but better IMHO than what you have there. As for the BG "clutter" it is sufficiently OOF to be acceptable.

I would be very happy with those, I'm just starting bird photography and don't have anything that good yet

Thanks Alan. Only been at it for a year and improving slowly. plenty of duff shots to go with the few good ones :D

I like these Gary but I would crop the vertical branch on the second shot. Yes the crop then is a bit close but better IMHO than what you have there. As for the BG "clutter" it is sufficiently OOF to be acceptable.

Thanks Donna good to hear about the background as this was putting me off. With regards to the female it's the vertical branch that I wasn't sure about as if I cropped it out I felt it might be to tight of a crop but can see your point as valid and will give it a go. Everything can't be perfect as that would get boring so have to work with what's there. :)

Absolutely no use on these shots Gary, but what lens and aperture are you using, just wondering for the future, if you opened up the aperture whether you could blur out the background even more.

Both birds are nice and crisp, with plenty of detail (y)

Absolutely no use on these shots Gary, but what lens and aperture are you using, just wondering for the future, if you opened up the aperture whether you could blur out the background even more.

Both birds are nice and crisp, with plenty of detail (y)

Martyn was using the 300f4 with tc wide open. Main problem was that there were branches all around so couldn't isolate the bird anymore. They just stayed in the trees and didn't come into the open hence the clutter :shrug:

Nice couple of shots, and whilst the background isn't too obtrusive, a bit of blurring or even cloning would improve them.

Thanks Ken might have a go at cloning and blurring. Better option will be to try again to see if I can get them with better backgrounds.

Thanks Donna good to hear about the background as this was putting me off.

Gary, because in both of these shots the perch branch is in full focus across the frame, you could do some PPing by cutting the bird and perch branch out to a new layer then on the original layer add blur to get the BG even more OOF then blend the bird layer back in. It will need some experiment if you have Photoshop but could be worth a try if you really don't like the BG.

Gary, because in both of these shots the perch branch is in full focus across the frame, you could do some PPing by cutting the bird and perch branch out to a new layer then on the original layer add blur to get the BG even more OOF then blend the bird layer back in. It will need some experiment if you have Photoshop but could be worth a try if you really don't like the BG.

Donna not the best with photoshop but will give it a go. As the saying goes "practice makes perfect", either that or I make a pigs ear of it :D

Very nice chaffy shots plenty of detail and the background look alright to me, at the end of the day there natural shots!

Very nice chaffy shots plenty of detail and the background look alright to me, at the end of the day there natural shots!

Thanks elvis, they are natural shots but just trying to improve them to look better. There again it's the habitat that they were in and where shot so you can't be to picky.

Two nice captures Gary, I had a pair of these in the garden this morning, mine too were spending most of the time viewing the rest of the birds from a vantage point in the hawthorn :LOL: only the female was diving down briefly for some sunflower seeds only stoping once on the perch.

Last edited:
(y) Nice shots, I'd be very happy with either of those

lovely detail,nice and sharp.

They both look fine to me. Top one looks sharper. Good job

Ewo nice captures Gary, I had a pair of these in the garden this morning, mine too were spending most of the time viewing the rest of the birds from a vantage point in the hawthorn :LOL: only the female was diving down briefly for some sunflower seeds only stoping once on the perch.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Rich these were the only two birds that refused to come out of the trees but thats the way it is sometimes :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Rich these were the only two birds that refused to come out of the trees but thats the way it is sometimes :)

Thats true, I dont think Chaffies like too much excitement :LOL:

Back