Pale Rider attempted rape scene

Garry Edwards

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
I've often thought that society may have gone too far in protecting children, but I've just re-watched an old film and now think that changes really were needed.

There's a scene in "Pale Rider" (1985) where someone tries to rape a young girl of "nearly 15". The hero turns up in the nick of time, has a quiet word with the would-be rapist and takes her home to mum. A day or so later she propositions him.

If I thought anything at all about it the first time I watched this film, I assumed that she would be an adult playing the part of a child, but in fact she was just 13 at the time:(

Knowing what's involved in filming these types of scenes, I'm glad that things have now changed. What do you think?

I've often thought that society may have gone too far in protecting children, but I've just re-watched an old film and now think that changes really were needed.

There's a scene in "Pale Rider" (1985) where someone tries to rape a young girl of "nearly 15". The hero turns up in the nick of time, has a quiet word with the would-be rapist and takes her home to mum. A day or so later she propositions him.

If I thought anything at all about it the first time I watched this film, I assumed that she would be an adult playing the part of a child, but in fact she was just 13 at the time:(

Knowing what's involved in filming these types of scenes, I'm glad that things have now changed. What do you think?
It has been a good while I watched Pale Rider for the umpteenth time.

Having said that, films of many genre have messages within messages........and the religious aspect of the 'Pale Rider' being the saviour (of those folk) and your pointing out the age of the girl......reminds me of (more than) one news story of Christian (?) sects in the USA where girls are married off!

In 1985 when it was made, what was going on in wider USA society???

It has been a good while I watched Pale Rider for the umpteenth time.

Having said that, films of many genre have messages within messages........and the religious aspect of the 'Pale Rider' being the saviour (of those folk) and your pointing out the age of the girl......reminds me of (more than) one news story of Christian (?) sects in the USA where girls are married off!

In 1985 when it was made, what was going on in wider USA society???
Good point, and not only in the USA.
Art always imitates life, in this (and just about all other movies) the fight and shooting scenes are pure fantasy and totally unrealistic, although the general public can't know that. Everything else in that film is pretty time-authentic, from the guns, horse tack, housing, Andalusian horses and so on, so why not use a very young girl to play an older girl in a sex scene? But it was still wrong, and I'm glad that it won't happen today.

Until 2013, Vatican City's age of consent was 12. Yup, twelve. Well, for unmarried persons, that is but if a boy is married at 16 or a girl at 14, sexual acts are permitted (within the marriage.)

Until 2013, Vatican City's age of consent was 12. Yup, twelve. Well, for unmarried persons, that is but if a boy is married at 16 or a girl at 14, sexual acts are permitted (within the marriage.)
And here's the situation in 2023 https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/age-of-consent-by-country
But, it isn't about the legal age of consent (which in the USA is generally 16 but which in some states is 17 or 18), it's about society's attitude towards protecting children from adults and sometimes from themselves.

Back