Critique Palnackie

Name
Richard Toulson
Edit My Images
No
I am not sure where I should post this as it is a bit of a hybrid post.

I have recently downsized my camera having bought a Canon G5X mkII. It is tiny but packs a reasonable punch and has enough control for this novice photographer. My Fuji XT3 is very much bigger and I feel returns much better images, and so it should, I get it. But it is up for sale, it doesn't get used these days. Despite the G5X mkII being so small it is fairly comfortable to hold. Dare I suggest that if you need a backup for your DSLR this could be a good option. I am impressed and it has invigorated me to get out and take some images. The one thing I would like to be able to do is pin the focal area to the centre of the screen when handheld. You can only turn off the touch screen, at the moment. The touch screen is sensitive but it does work well on the tripod. Actually, it looks quite funny having such a small camera on a tripod.

The following are taken at the nearby village of Palnackie and I used a tripod, with the exception of Orchardton Tower, I snapped out of the stationary car window. All taken in RAW and processed in LR.

I would be interest to hear what you think of the 'quality' of the image from such a small camera, and any pointers as to composition and processing. It gets a thumbs up from me.

And a suitable boat name:

I would post more but I am restricted to two. Cheers.

I find judging quality on line really difficult Richard and sometimes the posting process seems to be just the luck of the draw, for me anyway, with some of my pictures looking sharp and some looking soft for no reason I can see.

Having said all that I do like both pictures, good composition and colour etc... :D I find that for me the main issue with smaller sensor cameras is dynamic range but these pictures don't seem to suffer from any lack of it so on this evidence at least... it's all good as far as I can see :D

I do think you're doing the right thing shooting raw and processing for best effect. Well done :D

Back