Pana-Leica 200mm f/2.8 query

Name
Justyn
Edit My Images
Yes
I have the PL200 lens and think it’s stunning. I used it this week at the Seal colony in Horsey on my daughter’s E-M10ii and very happy with the results.

PA290002.jpg

Have I missed a memo though, as MPB has 26 for sale (8 w/o the x1.4TC). Is it too niche for most people? The Oly 300mm is like hens teeth secondhand (mind you MPB suddenly have 5) and has gone up in price this year. The PL can be had for £600 less and yes if I had a Pana body I would get the improved OIS2, not that it is in anyway an issue on my Oly bodies. But the issues about the price seem to have gone and a fast 400 to ~600mm equiv prime can be really useful.

Just curious more than anything.

I also have the Leica 200mm f2.8 with the 1.4 T/C and think it's a tremendous performer, stunning.
It's the pricing I cannot understand - it apparently has a RRP of something like £2299. I attended two shows this year where it was available from Panasonic UK dealers at £999 (with the T/C) - so is it any wonder that the second hand prices are so low?
On the other hand the Olympus 300mm is only available new with nominal discounts and so holds its value second hand. The other attraction is that with the 2x T/C it performs well - at a full frame equivalent of 1200mm!

The discounts meant a number of people picked them up at show prices and passed them on quickly as a risk-free investment, possibly even turning a quick profit with the secondhand dealers. I'll bet MPB offered more than £999 trade in price!

It's the best lens I've ever used, in terms of sharpness. It's a proper exotic, the only chance people like me will ever have to own a 400/2.8 or 600/4 equivalent. My previous benchmark was the Nikkor 300/4 and this is better. And eventually I guess once these show-priced trade-ins sell off the price will settle back down.

I love carrying it around, among the big guns at local hides, knowing that I have something equivalent to the big primes without the weight and price!

Glad that I haven’t missed the memo. As much as the Oly 300 with Sync IS would be nice, having both the PL200 & 100-400 cover most things off I’ll ever take, a x2 TC would be nice in longer term, no rush though (also not seen if the Oly x2 would fit the 200).

It is a ruddy marvellous lens that I think has rather had its legs taken from under it this year and could be seen as a bit of a steal (albeit an expensive one).

Back